Sign in to follow this  
Olham

The "Flying Fox" at Phalempin

After the book "The Flying Fox" by Otto Fuchs was recommended to me so much by RAF_Louvert and rjw,
(thank you both for pointing it out) I have bought an old German original copy and am still enjoying it very much.
The English edition by Adam Wait is said to contain the true squadron and persona names, so I may also buy that.
It is an incredibly well written description of all Fuchs saw - people, aircraft, flying, landscapes and the war.
And it has a lot of good humour.

Now I wanted to see where it took place and made a research. Maybe the English book contains some of these photos;
the German one from 1933 unfortunately doesn't. But I found this "Malaula" blog space (which might be written by
Adam Wait or Norman Franks - couldn't find a name; can someone help?), and there were some fine pictures.
The rest is compiled from GoogleMaps and the web. Enjoy!

full-27170-64809-flying_fox_at_phalempin

Hi Olham;

Since you didn't indicate the link where you found the pictures, I went searching but didn't find them.

While trying to research your request to find out who wrote the malaula blog you got your pictures from, I came across another link which is very useful to anyone reading the ENGLISH version of "Malaula - Battle Cry of Jasta 17". This blog was written by Adam Wait who indicates that the editor made many revisions to the publication to the detriment of Bucklers work and so Adam has published correction here at this blog. I recommend it as supplementary reading for the sake of accuracy.

Adam Wait Blog Spot 2007: http://malaula.blogspot.ca/2007/08/battle-cry-of-my-blog.html

Here is another link to his blog which contains pictures from the book and many which did not make it into publication

Thanks for clickable links - but I did show the place in the text in my picture; last line.

OOPS!! Sorry. I assumed a highlighted clickable line would be there and should have been more diligent in checking.

That said, I couldn't find the pics you posted so I must be doing something wrong.

Edited by rjw

When I click on your second link, I get them all.

Photo 42 is identified as "Bristol F.2B which Fuchs shot down on June 21, 1917 for his first victory". Based on the exhaust manifold, and wingtips it's an Albatros. Probably a D-III but it could be a D-V, depending on the angle of the rudder to the camera. But it AIN'T no F.2b.

*edit*

see retraction below

Edited by von Baur

von Bauer looks like an F2b to me!

Look at the remains of the cowling and if you reference the picture included the exhaust header looks the same to me, but I will let others voice their opinion on this.

post-52329-0-99005000-1378069623.jpg

Best Regards;

Apologies. At first glance, the bend in exhaust appeared to be on the same plane as the section coming off the engine, which could not have been the case for the Bristol, since its exhaust ran down and then along its fuselage. On closer inspection I noticed the control horns for both the ailerons (visible to the left of the rudder) and the elevator (to the right of the rudder). Clearly it AIN'T no Albatros.  doh.gif.pagespeed.ce.55mAjSdUju.gif

Thanx, Robert, for straightening me out.