Wife and I now have a new gas stove with a convection oven. Just finished making a pan of cracklin' cornbread.

OMLG!!! To hell with calories; golden crispy brown and absolutely delicious.

plug_nickel (soon to be half dollar!)

Those cook faster, don't they?

I picked 8 quarts of wild blackberries last week, and 18 peaches from 2 peach trees planted May of 2011.

Making wine with most of the berries and pie from the rest of them and the peaches.

Had a great aunt that lived in the country way back when I was a boy. She had an ornate wood burning kitchen stove and made the best pies I've ever had. Heck, everything she made was great. I've cooked on a simpler model at a deer camp and there is a knack to cooking with them. Heat comes from the side and results in uneven cooking temps that require lots of attention and turning of pots/dishes. Temperature regulation is another biggie, gotta know how much wood to add and when to do it. She would probably be both amazed and bored cokking on today's high tech stoves.

A covection oven uses a fan to circulate the heat. It does cook faster and uses a lower temp than recipe calls for. You can also set the temp in 5 degree increments.

I've never had a pan of cornbread that turned out like this one and there's a prop inside to watch to boot! I can yell "Contact....Clear" when hitting the rocker switch when engaging the convection function....woohoo!

(inflated) plug_nickel

cornbread is all gone.

Almccoyjr;

Don't forget to watch your six!!! :biggrin:

I'm guessing that watching his six will become easier or harder, depending on where that cornbread lands.

And I'm curious as to the looks he receives from his wife when he does the, "Contact....Clear" bit.