Sign in to follow this  
slick cowboy

Adding 2 more sidewinders to the F-5E

I want to add two sidewinder stations to the outerwing section of the F5-E. So far I managed to add the right entries as systemname to the wings in the data.ini and created two corresponding stations like so:

[LeftOuterWingSidewinderStation]
SystemType=WEAPON_STATION
StationID=8
StationGroupID=5
StationType=EXTERNAL
AttachmentPosition=-3.084,-1.972,-0.395
AttachmentAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0
LoadLimit=125.0
AllowedWeaponClass=IRM
AttachmentType=NATO,USAF
ModelNodeName=pylon_AIM9_L
PylonMass=45.36
PylonDragArea=0.02

[RightOuterWingSidewinderStation]
SystemType=WEAPON_STATION
StationID=9
StationGroupID=5
StationType=EXTERNAL
AttachmentPosition=3.084,-1.972,-0.395
AttachmentAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0
LoadLimit=125.0
AllowedWeaponClass=IRM
AttachmentType=NATO,USAF
ModelNodeName=pylon_AIM9_L
PylonMass=45.36
PylonDragArea=0.02

I added the pylon_AIM9_9L as used in the F-16, but it doesn't appear and the sidewinder is floating underneath the wing.  Pretty neat, but too sci-fi for now... Maybe I should use another pylon? Any suggestions?

The pylon_AIM9_L would need to be present on the actual F-5E model to use, so for now you need to use the same pylon name as the outer wing pylon. If it references a node name not present you get floating missiles.

ah ok

i thought the pylon could be assigned to a different aircraft

it's kinda weird now without a rail, but it works :-)

pylons are always part of the aircraft's physical model (with the exception of bomb racks; MER and TER)

ah ok

i thought the pylon could be assigned to a different aircraft

it's kinda weird now without a rail, but it works :-)

Raven made a suitable rail for cases like this, just not sure where (in which topic) he posted it...

Here are the .lod's. They are exporter at '0.00,0.00,0.00' for use as 'Fake Pilot (or seat)'. Hope you can do something with them and feel free to use them anyway you like.

LAU-129A.zip

post-300-0-55005900-1378149601.jpg

post-300-0-03303900-1378149609.jpg

remember a VERY important thing:

if you add something via FakePilot, it's there forever, and will cause interference with other weapons/stores mounting. In this case, you'll have these extra pylons floating around

now, OTH, if using The Raven Rail ™, you should probably 'clone' an existing hardpoint (in this case the wing stations, set them for IRM only, as a new WeaponsGroup, add the rail via RackType= in the loadout ini, and adjust the vertical positioning of the missle as needed.

personally, that's way too much work. just use the existing mounts, and go from there

Edited by Wrench

I agree Wrench, they create more problem's then their worth on a aircraft that has existing pylons.

i'm not going to mess with that, i'll leave the sidewinder on the normal pylon for now

it works, it kills...

Well, I went the hard way and added the rail to the F-5EM, released by denissoliveira.

I guess watching the missiles hanging from a pylon without rail was a bigger pain for me than doing the necessary ini edit...

By the way I prefer adding the rails as empty fuel tank with a non-jettison entry in the data.ini of the aircraft.

Of course that works just for aircraft with few weapon stations.