Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Questions about DCS moddability

I'm curious about DCS modability so I will make some questions that maybe someone will be able to answer.

- Can anyone create a FREE (not payware) plane for DCS? Can the author select the plane and the level of fidelity?

- Is harder to create a new plane for DCS than is for Strike Fighters?

- What about avionics? are those modable? Imagine author want a FC level F-4. Is possible to create those avionics?

I believe there are Freeware aircraft being done, as well as official modules - but I have only looked at new skins so far not much else (thought I would try and fly for a bit)

Edited by MigBuster

Strato

All aircraft have to be officially sanctioned by ED or they will not provide any support for them. As far as making a new plane it isn't anymore work than for SF2. However the avionics are extremely complicated to do. The DCS series will not be nearly as moddable as SF2 series. DCS and SF2 are apple and oranges in that regard. I like both but I;m leaning toward DCS more because its looks better and has the right amount of gameplay elements I like. I cannot wait for DCS F/A-18C to come out. 

Thta what I tough. For planes until Vietnam era, SF is my favourite, but for modern planes I feel lacking, so I either fly Falcon4 BMS (terrains look outdated) or FC3. Shame is not really moddable, specially it need more terrains.

Oh and BTW I can't wait either for the F/A-18 finally I will be able to use HARMs and GBU on a fast jet!

The engine wasn't designed to be as open as TK's was for SF. It's just how it is.

I would LOVE to be able to take planes made for SF1/2 and port them into DCS, even if they're not flyable but just targets (because DCS needs more AI-only planes too), but that's not what DCS World allows. So for variety and various eras I'll be keeping SF2 and for current stuff I'll be flying DCS. By picking 1982 as his official end date TK really did position himself right before DCS/LOMAC. And by starting post-WWII he positioned himself after the Il-2s and what not that are out there (our modders' efforts to make WWII versions notwithstanding).