Slant6

Does hyperthreading work on SF2 sims; has anyone used an i3 ivy or sandy with SF2?

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with an i3 ivy or sandy bridge cpu and SF2. I know the sim is now written to support 4 cores, just wondering if it supports hyperthreading (2 real + 2 "virtual cores").  Thanks.

I have three quad core PCs with SF2/FE2 installed and the most I've ever noticed that SF2/FE2 uses is two cores.

Really.  Because right now I'm using a Pentium G860 sandy bridge 3.0ghz dual core (bascially a sb i3 with no hyperthreading).  So if that's true (and I'm sure it is), and you've got a late patch on your SF2 suite, then there's no need to upgrade to an i3 or i5 if SF2 is your main game.

Yup, I'm running a Q9650 C2Q cpu, and I haven't noticed any fps difference between  SF2 run at 4 cores or limiting through affinity to 2 cores only! SF2 "utilizes" 4 cores on paper only, imho.

EDIT: But on the other hand, both i3 and i5 run at higher clock than 3.0 GHz, I think, so you'd still see some, albeit small, improvement.

Edited by SFP1Ace

I changed from Pentium G620 (sandy, 2 core)  to I3 3220 (ivy, 2 core+HT) earlier this year. But mostly because I gave the G620 system to my folks.

Cannot notice the difference in SF2, but I did not expect to see any. FYI Hyperthreading can actually hurt performance if mismanaged, the main game loop needs a real core.