I built this monster gaming rig last Christmas and it can max out essentially any game on the market right now no problems. Where BF3 brings some rigs down to a crawl, this thing destroys it.

However, during some missions, namely some of the missions in  linebacker 2, where I have B-52s dropping thousands of bombs, a gazillion SAMs, flack so thick you can walk on it and MiGs all over the sky like fireflies, it turns into a power point slide show.

My question is, how much RAM is enough? Is it a shortcoming on my system or is the game just being overloaded? Are there any ini tweaks I can do to boost the game system to run smoother during these high intensity missions?

The game doesn't really leverage multicore as well as it could, so you are probably cpu limited.

ok. that's makes sense. my i5 3570 is a workhorse. Could you expect any more performance increase from an i7? Im getting the notion that the game itself wont really utilize the added power available.

Rule number one: Never max out the horizon distance. Try setting that to normal and let us know how much it helps.

Only a must in such a FPS heavy situations. Also I noticed that disabling the object fading in options.ini also gives a measurable fps boost on my rig. Somehow the fader shader seems to be CPU intensive O_O

LOL :lol:

...Fader Shader. :haha:

SidDogg

• Like 1

Lol, but it's true, it's a shader that fades TOD objects into oblivion - therefore fader! That's a non-native English speaker's logic at it's best :biggrin:

My own pc is so burnt out that anytime i add mods, FPS drops. It is like playing by mail. I was going to replace this one with something better, but after reading this, i may not spend so much in specifications if performance doesn´t peak as much.

Love SF2, but let's face it, it's not all that well optimized.  And the patches close one can of worms, only to open another.  :bad:

I usually run SF2 on my 2nd pc...(modelling,apps etc etc..

on an old

Q6600 Core2 Quad 2.4GHz

6GB DDR2

XFX7890 3GB DDR5 Ram..

ssd Samsung 256GB...and it runs game on Ultimate...with modded gfx usually with high settings for details,etc...and never slows down even with huge terrain\gfx mods...weird eh

• Like 1

I always turn down the shadows to medium. Also, if you're trying to play it on 1080 or above resolution, anti-aliasing and all them fancy features become unnecessary and bog down performance. I myself always set Nvidia Control Panel to performance mode then change only power management to Max Performance and V-sync+Triple Buffer on so I can have 1920x1080 with good graphics but no performance impact

Shadows are a FPS killer, always been that way since Gen 1 series in addition with the horizon distance and even the "cockpit mirrors" option or whatever it's called.  

Hello! I am thinking to buy a new graphic card for use SF2 North Atlantic.

At the moment I have an ATI Radeon 1GB.

Should I buy a new ATI Radeon or a GeForce? Which one do you recommend me?  :dunno:

Thank you! I will go on it.

The GTX760 is the lower-mid-range enthusiast card from nVidia at the moment. They offer it with a frame buffer of up to 4 GB.  That's a lot of VRAM!

Where can I set the number for the drawing disctance for the tree mods. I have the feeling, that after NA the drawing distance was reduced, and you can only see trees in the area right next to you.

What ini do I need to find and mod, I have tried the some settings in the enviroment and another ini, but the result was not very satisfyinng

Where can I set the number for the drawing disctance for the tree mods. I have the feeling, that after NA the drawing distance was reduced, and you can only see trees in the area right next to you.

What ini do I need to find and mod, I have tried the some settings in the enviroment and another ini, but the result was not very satisfyinng

First you have to set the fadeobjects to false in the options.ini. The TOD trees and buildings rendering distance is modified in the flightengine.ini file iirc.

Mirrors and TV screen cut fps in half...it is expected that such effects would cut performance but not in half...in my tests this is the order of performance killers:

1. Mirrors

2. Mirrors

3. Mirrors

4. Shadows on high/Horizon distance

1. Mirrors

2. Mirrors

3. Mirrors

4. Shadows on high/Horizon distance

On reflection, you might be right ; )

Hello, 

I'm agree with Brain, the TV screens cut fps!  

Compared with IL2 shadows fps cut seems to be more important. 

Best regards gents,

Coupi.