MigBuster

Voyager leaves solar system

And don't come back Janeway!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24026153

_66509267_r2620085-voyager_spacecraft-sp

The Voyager-1 spacecraft has become the first manmade object to leave the Solar System.

Scientists say the probe's instruments indicate it has moved beyond the bubble of hot gas from our Sun and is now moving in the space between the stars.

Launched in 1977, Voyager was sent initially to study the outer planets, but then just kept on going.

Today, the veteran Nasa mission is almost 19 billion km (12 billion miles) from home.

This distance is so vast that it takes 17 hours now for a radio signal sent from Voyager to reach receivers here on Earth.

And the funny thing is there is more computing power on a modern cellphone than on that thing.

Friggin amazing it's power source worked for so long.I did read long time ago that airborne tv  transmissions have been travelling out into the great beyond since the very first one really might be worth looking up the first one to see what impression it would give.

It's probably not known which is the very first, but in 1928 a test signal was broadcast of a felix the cat doll on a turntable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJqeufU_BQU

It was broadcast 2 hours a day so engineers could study the television technology. Probably scared all those little green men back to the delta quadrant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAGp-WQHfXo

I read the power left is some fraction of a watt to transmit. They need BIG dishes with the gain turned up to "11" to still hear it.

Erik I read some where that another early one was from Germany in 1938 or there about's featuring guess who!

Adolf Hitler, the former Chancellor of Germany.

Here this thing is from sixties still transmitting and I my cellphone keeps droping calls.

godspeed Voyager!

Nazi Olympics were not the first signal out but man what a climax scene in Contact that made! Re-watched it few years back, still gave me the chills

• Like 1

It wasn't the first signal, but it was probably the first one with sufficient broadcast power that we can believe made it out a few dozen light years and was still detectable.