Sign in to follow this  
sparky

VC-10 last flights

Last operational RAF VC-10 tanking flights took place today (20/9), report on BBC news.

Two remaining aircraft to be flown from Brize Norton to museums and then that's it.

Going to miss them......

S! Seen the last Mirage F.1 flights in Spain this summer, is always sad to see a plane depart...

There was one here at Wright-Patterson AFB just last week. What a beautiful aircraft. 

Good bye to the wonderful old Funbus... There is now only one 4 Jet Engined British Designed and Built aircraft flying... And that is the Avro Vulcan...

I remember seeing the VC-10's from Brize Norton fly over all the time when I lived at RAF Little Rissington in England. My dad was in the USAF and stationed at RAF Fairford.  The approach pattern for RAF Brize Norton went right over us. I used to parascend at Little Rissington back in the late 80's and a buddy of mine had a very close encounter with a VC-10 while flying a fast parachute he had never flown before. He was really nervous about flying the chute and when we got him up there and he released the drogue and started on his way back down one of these big old tankers comes cruising by rather close to him. He freaked out and ended up landing on a gravel road and falling over then proceeded to get drug by the parachute for about 75ft. The wind was only about 15-20 knots and by the time we all hopped in the Land Rover and drove over to him he managed to get out of the chute. He was all beat up by the road and looked pretty bad. He never wanted to fly that chute again for as long as I was still there.

The end of an era.  How I always loved sitting backwards (the seats all face the tail) on my way to my 2 tours of Belize.  It's always nice to see where you are coming from. :biggrin:  Yes fond memories of slim reclining seats with ashtrays and RAF stewardess's serving alcohol on those flights in the late 80's, early 90's.  Good old days.

:beach: