Hauksbee

WWI Mod for IL-2 '46?

A few days ago, I was poking around on the Front Page of Combat Ace. There was a discussion about WWI Mod for IL-2 '46 called "Dark Blue World". Has anyone here played with it?

Composite.jpg

Edited by Hauksbee

Not me - but it looks less good to me than OFF; not to speak of WOFF,

which should be looking even so much better.

I'm not one who tries out everything though - I am rather careful about

what I install.

I am downloading it now.   The mod appears to be free and IL-2 1946 is only $9.99 on Steam.   It's something to help pass the time until WOFF releases and hey...it's a free total conversion mod for an outdated WWII flight sim.  You never know when those things might turn out to be a diamond in the rough.  wink2.gif.pagespeed.ce.DG-_ZgrqXc.gif

Hellshade

Victory favors the bold....Let us know. Curious about the campaign aspect, if any.

Victory favors the bold....Let us know. Curious about the campaign aspect, if any.

You might want to check out my mission reports for the 'Code of Honour' campaign:

http://combatace.com/forum/307-mission-reports/

Basically, so far there's a series of 'single mission set' campaigns. These look to be varied and imaginative, though they are a mix of historical and non-historical elements eg the 'Frankenplanes', Zeppelins at the front in 1917, Austrian Albatrosses on the Western Front. There are some rough edges eg poor rendering in the SE5 cockpit views, weak engine sounds. OTOH the terrain and environmental modelling is very good (at or close to best in breed IMHO) as are the unbeatable (but possibly too deadly) flak effects.

For its many good and different aspects, it's definitely worth playing for anyone interested in the era and genre, even tho not yet a serious competitor for the 'Big Three', for the die-hard WW1 afficionado.

Not the place to discuss other sims or mods I know but since it was mentioned...

Just as an aside, I haven't tried the WW1 part of Dark Blue World (OFF has spoilt me), but the mod does allow you try scenarios from periods such as Korea or Vietnam without having to buy whole new sims. Took me an age to download though.

Meh...I've tried it and it just doesn't do it for me, personally.   Maybe if there's a mod for IL-2 1946 that lets me fly F-86s during the korean war, that might be fun, but the 1916 mod...as hard as it tries...just doesn't hook me.    Kudos to the modders who have obviously put a lot of time into DBW 1916 though.  I hope they keep working on it.  There certainly is potential, but for now my hopes for a truly great WWI single player campaign with great AI will continue to rest on WOFF.  When did they say that release date was again...?

Here is a very well-made video which elephant brought to my attention. They used IL-2 and the Dark Blue World mod. Enjoy!

Edited by Olham

They used IL-2 and the Dark Blue World mod.

The IL-2 'Dark Blue World' has P-40's and China-Burma missions? Edited by Hauksbee

The IL-2 'Dark Blue World' has P-40's and China-Burma missions?

Yep - and many more things, afaik.

Perhaps Elephant will respond here - I think he installed and used it.

I never did so far, but it looekd tempting.

I recall 33LIMA doing a thread with the same plane sets in different "games/simulators" .

It was very well done and had a gazillion screen shots. Took me forever to read and see the eyecandy on my meager internet connection, but worth every day that advanced through them

Here it is ......

http://combatace.com/topic/78684-a-nieuport-28-campaign-sim-by-sim/

I've played it off and on...it's ok...nothing special though...it's just IL2 with Biplanes

Maybe if there's a mod for IL-2 1946 that lets me fly F-86s during the korean war, that might be fun,

Monty @ SAS is working on a full Korean Air War mod that will work in his "Full Monty" install package and is something I've been waiting for.

BTY: "The Full Monty" is a composite of many of the most popular mods out for IL-2. The start up sequence of the Spitfire, alternating puffs of black smoke and exhaust flame, finally culminating in light blue, raspy exhaust flames is worth it just by itself.

> Back on Topic

I've "flown" many of the WW1 mods for IL-2. I don't compare their graphics or lack of dynamic campaigns to OFF, but rather just enjoy the diversity of other modders who enjoy WWI. The "der Adler von Triest - the eagle of Trieste" is completely different and many of Monty's WW1 works are quite good.

Their replay is quite limited, but that's not why I've flown and fly them.

plug_nickel

Edited by almccoyjr

In our online squad we use it extensively because it works great online. We know its faults in terms of realism but we can create our coop scenarios and enjoy flying WWI planes together. Some of the newer maps and objects are quite good and the planes keep evolving. After all it is all a product of modders working for free on a more than 10 year old sim.

Just a few days ago we were discussing how great it would be if we could use OFF. We tried it several times but could not overcome its CFS3 inherited online problems. Still looking forward to the release of WOFF for our personal offline use.

Just a few days ago we were discussing how great it would be if we could use OFF. We tried it several times but could not overcome its CFS3 inherited online problems. Still looking forward to the release of WOFF for our personal offline use.

One of the Preview videos for WOFF showed a Manager screen where one of the options listed was "Host Multiplayer".   I'm certainly not making any promises because I'm not a Dev and they haven't listed the WOFF feature set yet, however the indication is that you will be able to finally fly on-line with your friends on WOFF.   If that turns out to be the case, I'm quite certain it will be a very popular feature of the sim. 

• Like 1

I really hope it will be Hellshade! That would be great!

I do not hold my hopes too high though. The feature was there from the beginning and several times we tried to use it. The problem was that the way CFS3 works in multiplayer, It causes severe lag issues and you get phenomena like ghost planes and AI jerking around the air that make the situation unplayable. It would be great if these issues were addressed. We will certainly try MP in WOFF once it comes out.

Dimus, if you would like to fly OFF online - did you ever check "Madmatt's Multiplayer Essentials"?

I haven't tried it myself, but from Matt wrote in posts back then, it seemed to help with multiplayer

problems and make things a lot easier.

Here is the link:

http://combatace.com/topic/42094-madmatts-over-flanders-fields-essential-multiplayer-files-autoinstaller/

Thanks for the link Olham!

I see that Madmatt included some of the missions created long time ago by our squad leader PD. It seems this file corrects incompatibility issues for people joining sessions. The worst thing is lag and this has to go very deep into CFS3 code. We'll see...

I know that one of the big selling points about ROF is it's multiplayer capability...but whenever i've tried it, cannot find a server.

Would be fabulous if WOFF had decent MP.