Skyviper

Interview With Dels

CombatACE Interview With Dels

The next modder I would like to introduce hails from Sydney Australia. Dels has been a member here since 2004 and his most notable file is the AH-64 Package whose link is at the bottom of the interview. Thank you Dels for allowing us to interview you.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sectSo, can you tell us a little about yourself?

I am 32 years old, married with three boys that constantly keep me on my feet. I work as a flying instructor in the Royal Australian Air Force with most of my time on the C-130J-30 Hercules.

What interest you about aviation?

Obviously the flying, but specifically it would have to be the ability to constantly challenge myself by striving to improve and achieve the unobtainable perfection.

What is your favorite aircraft and why?

This is a hard one. From WWII: it would be the Mustang, from the cold war: definitely the Scooter and from the modern era: the Hornet. If I had to pick one, probably the A-4 because it’s small, agile and can carry more than its empty weight in payload.

What got you interested in flight simulation?

Once I was interested in becoming a pilot (all those years ago) I looked for ways to satisfy that drive and improve my knowledge about flying and combat. After this, it became a search for the ultimate flight simulator that would balance game play slash immersion and technical accuracy.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sectDo you remember the first flight sim you ever played?

F/A-18 Interceptor.

What motivated you to arrive here at Combat Ace and stay for 9 years?

After Janes USAF became less prominent and the mods were getting a little worn out I found SF:P1 for sale in a games store for AU$19.99. I was initially hooked by the chance to fly the A-4 but soon found the game satisfied most of the requirements I had for a flight sim. I admit it was missing some features, but a Google search later I found BioHazCentral and I have never looked back.

When did you start modding?

I initially started modding on Janes USAF in 2000, but I started modding SF as soon as I found BioHazCentral back in 2004 and started uploading my humble mods in 2005.

What motivated you to make the AH-64 pack?

I am part of the ODS team and always thought that there were two very important aircraft in that operation. The AH-64 was one and the F-117 was the other. Once the upgrade to SF2 standard started getting underway, I saw it as an opportunity to finally bring the AH-64 to ODS. It seemed like a good idea to do both the A and D models at the same time and it wasn't much extra work. Also, I knew that once the A model was out there people would start asking for the D, so I just beat them to it!

What are some of the mods you'd like to make, provided the game engine can support them?index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Because of my trash hauling background, I would like to do airdrop resupply and paratroop insertion missions, but I'm pretty sure that's a pipe dream. For something realistic, I would really like automatic air to ground gunnery implemented so that my AC-130's can do some consistent and accurate damage.

What does modding do for you? Is it something that is relaxing, a neat hobby, etc.?

I used to build model aircraft as a kid (most of the members here can probably relate to that) but after I joined the Air Force and started to move around, the models I made became broken pieces of hard work which was demoralizing. Modding is a hobby that satisfies the artistic part of my makeup, that building models used to fill, and helps me to drive toward the ultimate flight sim as previously mentioned.

What modding tools do you use and why?

I use 3D studio max, Photoshop and notepad. They seem to be all I need but in answer to why I use those specific programs: 3D studio max is the only program which models can be exported from, everyone has notepad and I like the depth and breadth of Photoshop’s functions.

What is your favorite mod you have created?

I had the most fun building my original C-130J-30 because it was the mod I “cut my teeth” on and I have an obvious special attachment to the Herc.

What is your favorite mod that you did not create?

Probably the Mirage Factory F/A-18

Who is a Modder you admire or inspired you to start modding?

Probably BPAO, who has since gone to be with our Lord and Saviour.

I'm sure BPAO would be glad to hear that. Thank you, Dels, for taking the time to do the interview and for staying with us over the years. As for everyone else thank you taking the time to stop by and check this interview out. As promised here is the link to Dels AH-64 pack http://CombatACE.com/files/file/12340-ah-64-package-for-sf2-ver-11/.

I'm Skyviper with the CombatACE News Team wishing everyone out there good hunting.

• Like 12

Skyviper, thank you for this interview.  Dels, you're a great contributor and a class act all the way - thank you for everything you do and for sharing with us your interesting background.  :fan: