Sign in to follow this  
warthog64

Bombers wont launch their missiles

Is there a way to get bombers such as the B-52 and Tu-22M to launch cruise missiles when you're intercepting them? I'll fly a mission to intercept a bomber like the Tu-22M, and if it's loaded with cruise missiles it never launches them! Just wanted a more challenging mission and when bombers end up posing no threat it's a big letdown. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

in SF2NA they always seem to launch if given the chance - are you talking about the same setup?

HAH...  Actually my problem is that they always launch their missiles before I could even get close to intercept them... At least when it is about TRAM Intruders....

They need to be set up for "Cruise missile" mission type, btw.

AND armed with missiles of ASM ordnance type

edit:   With CGR type ammo they have to get close (about 15-20kms  like a human player) to be able to target them visually

Edited by Snailman

I'm using a merged SF2 setup that includes SF2NA. I wasn't aware that "cruise missile" was a mission type I'll set up each bomber with this mission type and see if it works.

Thanks

I only see them target the opposing  naval fleet is there a way to get them to attack land targets?

Well I got the bombers to fly cruise missile missions but whenever I assign this mission I can't assign the bombers a target in a specific naval group, it just says <none> with no options.

Also as lcarus999 said is there a way to allow cruise missile attacks against land targets? I remember in SF2I once I was able to intercept Tu-16's firing AS-5 missiles at land targets which they successfully did, but I haven't seen this in a while. 

Edited by warthog64

I could not make a cruise missile flight group on my own either. Problem, I also wanted such a campaign.

Well, I suggest... let us create the cruise missile mission in "mission generator" ... for example set up a random mission for intercept (F-14 or Yak-38 flyables red or blue respectively) and see if the other side will have a cruise missile flight group as a mission target for you. Save the mission, and look into the saved mission file. There must be an entry we cannot create manually, but the mission generator knows how to do that.

After then, we may have to add that entry manually in TXT mode....

They always launch for me if they make it to the launch point.  Just thinking about it - they will jettison their cruise missiles if I launch on them and they have to start popping chaff.  If my missile doesn't reach terminal distance before they reach their launch waypoint, they launch.  I actually haven't had the AI launch in a long time because during intercepts, I try to get to the waypoint as fast as possible, riding burners, launch and max loiter back 'cause I'm usually down at about 7-6,500lbs at that point.  If you take a bit lower speed, you probably won't reach them before they launch.