Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

Tom Clancy Dies at Age 66

According to the Publishers Weekly Twitter account, American author Tom Clancy died Wednesday in a Baltimore hospital at age 66.  A cause of death has not been revealed.

Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Tom Clancy  studied literature at the Loyola College in Baltimore and was  originally an insurance salesman before becoming famous for writing technically detailed espionage and military science books.

He is responsible for best-selling books such as "The Hunt for Red October," "Patriot Games," "Clear and Present Danger," and "The Sum of All Fears" —   all of which were adapted into major Hollywood films.

In 1996, Clancy  co-founded the  video game developer   Red Storm Entertainment  and has had his name on several of Red Storm's most successful games. 

Red Storm was later bought by publisher Ubisoft Entertainment  for an undisclosed sum.

In 2002,  Forbes wrote, "Clancy can produce a guaranteed bestseller just by writing two words: his name."

"When it comes to leveraging his brand across multiple channels, he is positively protean," Forbes continued, noting his income at the time made him  the tenth-best earner on Forbes Celebrity 100 list for 2002. His net worth today is reported to be around $300 million.

Clancy has been a lifetime supporter of conservative and Republican causes in America,  a member of the  National Rifle Association  since 1978, and was  part-owner of the  Baltimore Orioles.

His next book, “Command Authority,” is planned for publication on December 3.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tom-clancy-dead-celebrated-thriller-141800682.html

R.I.P

Wow, never liked the guy, but i think this deserves a re-read of Red Storm Rising and a SF2 reenacment. RIP

Btw, they should dedicate him the upcoming "Jack Ryan"

Edited by macelena

I always thought he was an arrogant, self-important prick, particularly from interviews, some commentaries he recorded and from statements he made after Sept 11... but I was a huge fan of Red October. No film seemed to capture the cold war in the 80s are well as that film did. Plus I was a huge fan of his Ghost-Recon concept before it went all Call of Duty. He redefined the political thrillers and is responsible for today's techno thriller genre.

Red Storm Rising is my all time favorite book. RIP

Well i didnt know him as a person, but yes his books and the genre he created are both fantastic

Edited by Snailman

I think he was a smoker, but I'm not positive. So if it was lung-related I wouldn't be surprised at all.

That said, the last really good book of his was The Bear and the Dragon. Red Rabbit was ok.

A great story teller.  He and his novels will be missed.  Red Storm Rising is the best book I ever read.  I have read all his books, but that one is the best.  A sad day indeed.  My thoughts are with his family.

The film adaptations were very good I thought - RIP to the guy - big loss for military fiction writing

:salute:

SidDogg

Well i didnt know him as a person, but yes his books and the genre he created are both fantastic

I think the same, i dont know as a person, but i like his books, my condolences for Jack Ryan and John Clark....

Rip Mr Clancy....

Red Storm Rising is a fantastic portrayal of a global conflict that would fit well within the Strike Fighter universe. Next to "The Stand" prolly the biggest book I ever read. I've seen all the adaptation movies too. RIP Mr. Clancy, I hope none of your stories every come true.

Like many of you guys Red storm Rising is my favourite of TC's books and probably my favourite book period.

When I first read it during the summer holidays as an 18 year old in 1987 I felt it was the ultimate military fiction book and the one I wanted to have written!

Needless to say it's one of the most battered books on my bookshelf, despite having electronic copies too these days.

I think the quality dipped, for me, after Executive Orders and Rainbow Six , although don't get me wrong even most of the later books are still head and shoulders above a lot of the stuff out there.

The movies were great, and Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon are my favourite games, after TK's of course.

Threat Vector just came out in paperback and I was waiting to finish some other books I've got queued up to read before I bought it.

I think I'll get it this weekend as a tribute to the man himself.

For tonight, I think I'll take up an F-19 in SF2:E to re-enact Operation Dreamland and hunt me down some Mainstays, and then have a go at taking down some vampires in an F-14A in SF2:NA.

RIP sir and thanks for everything.

:salute: RIP Mr. Clancy. You inspired me to write military action stories as a kid thru now.

Falcon

Threat Vector just came out in paperback and I was waiting to finish some other books I've got queued up to read before I bought it.

I think I'll get it this weekend as a tribute to the man himself.

Please note that everything in the Ryanverse after Teeth of the Tiger and Red Rabbit was ghost written and not written by Clancy.

As it stands, the original Ryan Books - esp Rainbow Six and Hunt for Red October - are great classics in my world. I will always have a copy at home and I will read them at least once a year.

Edited by JonathanRL

Just to make a poll, how many of you can see your RSR book from where you are right now? I looked at my 9 and there it was

Wow, everyone beat me to it. I just found out and one of my first thoughts was , "Well, guess I better play the red storm rising campaign in Nato fighters..." But RIP. I don't know anything about the man, but I have certainly enjoyed a lot of Clancy-related material. It took me a couple tries to get into RSR (I mean...the war doesn't even start for almost 150 pages!)...but once I finished it, I absolutely loved it and it now gets at least an annual read through. Clear and Present Danger, Hunt for Red October, Rainbow Six...all great books. 

And then of course the original Ghost Recon game (plus expansions). That is one of the few games that has never been removed from my hard drive (along with Strike Fighters and Mount & Blade). 

...anyways, It's good to see a lot of folks with the same thoughts. See you in the skies over Europe!

His first Books were great. Hunt for Red October, Cardinal in Kremlin, Without Remourse, Sum of all fears and so on. I loved them all.

Red storm rising was a very funny talesbook. Never laughed so much while reading a thriller.

What came later was ... suboptimal. America is the best, is the smartest, the only one, and the rest of the world is stupid. (Okay, the brits are a little bit less stupid than the rest of the world). This change in his way of writing was pitty.

But RIP, Tom. Your early books i will read again and again with pleasure.

• Like 1

His first Books were great. Hunt for Red October, Cardinal in Kremlin, Without Remourse, Sum of all fears and so on. I loved them all.

Red storm rising was a very funny talesbook. Never laughed so much while reading a thriller.

What came later was ... suboptimal. America is the best, is the smartest, the only one, and the rest of the world is stupid. (Okay, the brits are a little bit less stupid than the rest of the world). This change in his way of writing was pitty.

But RIP, Tom. Your early books i will read again and again with pleasure.

Agree 100%. The movies made from his books though, I didn't like as much as everyone else here. I mean, I liked the books and the movies changed too many things for my liking (just compare Bob Ritter from the books and Bob Ritter from "Clear and present danger" movie)

Wow had to take a jab huh? Pathetic.