Dej

Each to their own...

This isn't a dig.

As the title says, 'à chacun son goût'. But I've just watched the prize winning videos for the other sim's Steam début. Fine, lots of action, but, to my mind, ZERO immersion.

I'm not saying you can't get immersion with ROF, but the fact that those particular videos have been chosen as the winners position the sim entirely.

It's where you want to be in your WW1 pilot experience that dictates your preference, methinks. Being up against real human opponents would be great, and fecking awesome in OFF, a proper and so much more realistic test indeed, but not at the expense of the historical positioning and feeling so much part of a greater whole that OFF gives and WOFF will give, probably in spades (or should that be SPADs).

90% boredom, 10% bumhole-clenching terror (unless you're a late war Jasta pilot, in which case reverse) is what I want to experience, even with the 1000+ hour advantage.

The music they've picked, OTOH, is just plain wrong... and that is a dig. SO glad that (W)OFF has Matt.

I fly both, OFF for the solo campaign experience and immersion and RoF for the multiplayer coop missions and campaigns and the pleasure of flying with friends. I like both.

Edited by corsaire31

Resisting the urge to be sensible and avoid commenting at all on competing WWI flight sims, I will speak only of the video used to "showcase" RoF on steam and not of the sim itself.    My guess is that it's purpose was to show exactly what it did show...action, excitement, "Call of Duty-esque" setpeices of high emotion.    It was a promotional video designed to get people who might think of WWI flight sims as being slow or boring as actually being able to deliver very intense, thrilling white knuckle experiences.  

I am making no comment at all on what the sim does or does not deliver.  Folks can decide all of that for themselves.  I'm merely saying that the purpose of the video was to attract attention and get people excited enough about what the product may be able to deliver to give it a try.    Generally speaking, the two things that always seem to garner interest in advertising are sex and violence.   Appealing to baser motives just works.   That perhaps says something more about people than the products they presume to represent.   A bit suprised nobody tried to paint a naked lady on the side of a plane for maximum effect.  (Just kidding) 

As for myself, I've often found that what I have gotten out of a game usually has as much to do with how much I am willing to put into it as it has to do with what it's actually capable of...modded or un-modded.   I'm having fun in a few games these days, but after having briefly played TESO in a beta, WOFF has moved firmly to the top of my list of most anticipated releases.   Until then, I can't wait for the next WOFF preview video.  Between the incredible music and amazing scenery, it really does look like it's going to turn my computer into a time machine that lets me experience the air war of WWI.  I hope the wait is over soon.

Edited by Hellshade

RoF online can be very exciting, as you fly against real human pilots. I often enjoy it with friends.

The way it works easily and fluidly is just great to have IMHO.

But when it comes to real immersion - to immerse yourself into a WW1 air war sim like in a book

as "No Parachute!" - then OFF is by far unbeaten.

I don't find it too hard to be waiting for WOFF, simply because the way OBD do their work gave me

absolute trust: they only work so much longer on it, to give us a so much more improved experience.

I find that the adjective "immersive" is like the "Pour-le-Mérite" for single campaign flying - and this

order is definitely owned by "Over Flanders Fields".

Edit/PS: Oh, and yes: Matt's score is an important part of it - the perfect soundtrack

Edited by Olham

Does ROF even have music? I don't recall any. Although, I always disable music in flight sims because I find it's either too cheesy, too dramatic, or both. So if ROF has music I guess I would have disabled it some four years ago and just don't remember.

IMO, sims are like bands: I have my favorite, but I damn sure like others, too. I like to find aspects of like-theatre sims that differ and then tailor my experience around those differences. Flight sim exclusivity for the sake of flight sim exclusivity is archaic.

Looking forward to WOFF! And BOS. And DCS WW2. And anything else ROF releases.

Rof won't work for me due to slow internet connection.

I can't play a game that must be tethered to the mothership for constant updates.

I hope WOFF won't be that way.

Well, I was one of the biggest 'slaters' of the 'other sim'....but ended up getting it anyway..and bought a few planes.

It's pretty cool, though I can never connect (or indeed find an online game)...I must be doing something wrong.

If you're a 'fun' skinner like I am..ROF is very easy to skin aircraft...which I enjoy as a time wasting exercise...as you get all the levels to play with in photoshop.

Even a complete noob skinner, can make a rather respectable personal skin in 15 mins

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

It's pretty cool, though I can never connect (or indeed find an online game)...I must be doing something wrong.

Strange...  check if you don't launch the game with "Mods on", could explain it...  Have been flying with Olham yesterday for an hour no problem.

Yep, as Corsair says: you start the sim, and in the first (smaller) panel you select "Mods: Off"

Now you should be able to connect.