Sign in to follow this  
SayethWhaaaa

Anyone ever dealt with news.net hijacker?

I've had this p.o.s. hijacker attack my wife's system after it installed itself somehow when she updated her video player. There was not a single mention of it during the installation process that either of us saw, but it's there nonetheless. It has a nasty habit of hijacking your browser to bring up the news.net page, which is a very dodgy, but seemingly legit looking news page. I had it on my system a while ago and eventually had to resort to a system restore to eventually wipe it from my machine. That one seems okay. However, after running scans, clearing out temp folders, uninstalling dodgy looking programs and doing a system restore on hers, it's persisting like digital herpes. A search seems to be futile, because almost every single link is a dodgy link suggesting a remover that's a different type of malware to remove the original.

Has anyone ever come across this before and beaten it?

No, not seen that particular one, sorry. Did you try a System Restore? It's really not a big deal to redo any drivers or other things you've done since then. Sometimes it doesn't work, depending on what you've got, but it's pretty much the first thing I do.

• Like 1

I had a problem looking close about a year near, but after downloading a .gif file. This one required a setup to appear, so after I rightly got my file, but with a rotten gift in supplement. I immediately launched Avast (and SuperAntiSpyware at this time) and after several scans and deletes the result was that my computer request five minutes to start, and he was unable to run some essential programs like PowerPoint, Windows Media... and even the basket (!) (the virus probably had already infected these ones and Avast delete them too).

Result, it was impossible to install heavy programs, even Silent Hunter 3 was not working properly and I had to made a great disk cleaning and reinstall XP completely. But even despite that he never found his abilities as before. This computer just definitely broke up like two weeks ago.

• Like 1

No, not seen that particular one, sorry. Did you try a System Restore? It's really not a big deal to redo any drivers or other things you've done since then. Sometimes it doesn't work, depending on what you've got, but it's pretty much the first thing I do.

Oh crap, I forgot I posted this. No, I didn't have the option for reverting back to anything recent (they most recent was about two months before that particular incident. I got as much of it as I could through a malware program, but somewhere in the registry, something was changed and it was resetting my homepage to news.net every 24 hours or so. Tried to uninstall Firefox and re-install it. still happened. I ended up blocking the site and it's affiliates through my router config. Still a pain in the arse though!