arthur666

adjusting accuracy of turrets on bombers

As you know, it's not that they're too accurate, just that the AI interceptors like to fall in line behind enemy bombers and get shot down.  I want to try making the turrets more inaccurate to compensate for this.

To do this, I just need to extract the Gundata.ini, change the accuracy of the gun(s) in question, and save it to the modded /Flight folder? 

there're a Gunnery Accuracy (or chance or something like that) line in each gunner's callout in the individual aircraft data ini.

That's what should be adjusted, NOT the guns -- cause that's a global change and is sure to frack something else up

• Like 1

Here are some gunner data entries I have been using for the BoB He-111 FM I put together. Some notes included to try and explain the "logic" involved.

[LeftGunner]
SystemType=GUNNER_STATION
PilotModelName=
SeatID=6
GunnerID=5
SetCockpitPosition=FALSE
Position=
MinExtentPosition=-0.802,-2.135,-0.45
MaxExtentPosition=0.257,-1.495,0.755
PitchModelNodeName=Gun_FuseL
YawModelNodeName=Gun_FuseL
GunRange=1000//2000...........................Seemed like the gunners were using all their available ammo during running battles so I reduced the engagement range.
GunnerFireChance=40//80............TW default value is 80. The He-111 waist gunner manned 2 guns so thought it was logical to reduce this by half.
GunnerFireTime=2.0//1.0................TW default value is 1.0. The machine guns don't have much hitting power so bumped this up to 2.0.
GunnerAimOffset=0.050.................TW default value.
GunnerAimAccuracy=20//60...........TW default value is 60. Reducing this number will solve your problems Arthur. For WW2 bombers I find the 20 entry reduces the

accuracy enough to cover up the lack of imagination the AI exhibits during bomber attacks.
PitchAngleRate=45
MaxPitch=30//45
MinPitch=-40//-5
DefaultPitchAngle=10
YawLimited=TRUE
YawAngleRate=45
MaxYaw=310//300
MinYaw=230//240
DefaultYawAngle=270

Hope this helps.  :bye:

hey baffmeister,

Thanks for the data.  I tried some very similar numbers, and it works pretty good.  In a perfect world, I'ld see my wingmen doing high speed angled attacks, but at least this keeps them from getting slaughtered.  I was just getting sick of missions where my 4-ship formation took on as many bombers, and only I and (2 enemy bombers) lived to tell about.

I can't speak for the Russians, but the rear turret on a B-52 was extremely accurate. Anybody dumb enough to get within a mile of your wing-line was dead.

So never attack a B-52 with a Me-109.

I can't speak for the Russians, but the rear turret on a B-52 was extremely accurate. Anybody dumb enough to get within a mile of your wing-line was dead.

AI in SF2 has proven that it is indeed dumber than dumb enough.

B-52 gunners claimed two MiG kills during the Vietnam War.

If a guy was trying to line up a shot with something like a rear-aspect only AA-2 it wasn't that hard to suck him into your "gun box". Even as late I as the Gulf War, I still liked having the guns back there because it kept people away from their best missile shots.

It wasn't our main defense, which was flying very low at night, but it was still nice having something to shoot back with.

There was some video of Eagles trying to get a lock on a B-52, they couldn´t because the BUFF was poping flares "like a motherfucker", yet they wouldn´t get close because of the tailgun

Edited by macelena