Sign in to follow this  
TeaAndScones

Dogfights gaining relevance again?

As missiles are gaining range and reliability, 300+ km range radar-guided missiles are no longer out of the ordinary.  However, as Stealth is also becoming more widespread, would this counteract the effectiveness of said missiles?

Radar-guided missiles, obviously require a valid contact on radar to lock-on.  However, since stealth will remove that contact, BVR missiles will be ineffective.  I know that there are varying degrees of stealth, but in general, the effectiveness of radar-guided missiles will be nullified.  I know that certain long-range IR guided missiles exist, like the Russian R-27T/ET, that use the IRST instead of radar, which could potentially work against stealthy targets, especially if the target is 'large and hot, like the F-22'.  However, I can imagine that IR hiding technology used in the B-2 Spirit will become incorporated into fighter sized aircraft quite soon from now, so then no current BVR missiles will work.

Because the radar and IRST's would be ineffective against these supposedly low RCS and IR targets, would this eventually lead to random encounters with hostile aircraft of a certain area of land, that take place WVR, and thus dogfights will ensue?  If so, I wouldn't be removing the M61 to make way for that bloody ECM pod on that new super-stealth fighter R&D...

Please let me know what you think.

Edited by DatBritish

The radar and IR detection range will be reduced but I cant see it being a case of visually detecting each other - especially with IR 

The F-35 has a built in IRST, TGP, Radar - and if they don't detect a foe then it has a 360 multi spectrum detection capability with the EODAS that will still detect targets well outside gun range.

If say 2 jets spotted each other in WVR and you went in with a gun against a guy with an AIM-9X / R-74 then probably kiss your A goodbye - >96% of the time.

In my opinion, it will be the same it ever was, only more complex, and more stuff to learn about. OODA loop principles with newer technology, training, learning, thinking out of the box, empathy... whenever men are fighting, it will allways be the same. 

Lower the radar frequency more visible the stealth is. It is said that below 2GHz nothing is invisible to radar. The problem with low frequency is that the environment is filled with them and environment  is kind of a natural jammer, plus measuring distance is very difficult with low frequencies but that can be solved with improvements in receivers computer technology. Many Russian and Chinese radars are modified for low freq. and can detect stealth planes like mid powered radars (main reason why F-117 was retired). So physical stealth can be defeated with development in radar technology. Best stealth lies with radar absorbent materials.

But like with any weapon system and it's counter measure, it is a never ending race between the two, so it's impossible for us laymens to say that radar will become obsolete.

Dogfight, and especially aerial gunnery  was thought to be a thing of a past when radar and IR guided missiles entered the scene in 50's. But again, it was proven wrong starting with Vietnam war.

Edited by hrc