quack74

Summer tiles for Jan Tuma's seasonal upgrade

I felt the summer tiles needed a bit more green rather than the patches of browns through most of the year. I also used Bandy's city tile upgrades to organize the buildings and streets. I've painted and/or touched up all the folders for Jan Tuma's seasonal upgrade. I'm just working a bit more on the Early_Spring folder. I'm adding some lighter color to the greens and even spring flowers to the trees and bushes. the pics are just a WIP. But almost done.  I any of you are interested in this I'll post it for sure. Some of you might not like the green. Maybe too much? Let me know.

post-33545-0-77804100-1382472777_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-65458900-1382472779_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-43597600-1382472781_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-96622900-1382472782_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-45313400-1382472784_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-80819800-1382472785_thumb.jpg

Some spring flowers WIP:

post-33545-0-27530600-1382472851_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-95156700-1382472852_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-34268000-1382472854_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

It looks like you've done a lot of work. I especially like the way the cities look. I'm looking forward to these. 

Bandy organized the cities over a year ago. But he only did the summer tiles (I think). I had to add the city configuration to the "Snow" and "DEEP_SNOW" tiles and add the snow. I did no work with the Terrain Editor to do this stuff. I only painted over Jan Tuma's work. I have no idea how to even get the TE to start up correctly. It crashes for me every time I try something. I would love to make larger, straighter fields on the tiles. But then I would have to move trees and things. That, I don't know how to do. Yet. I just need to do a Spring and Fall set. Not sure just yet how I want them to look. Very dull for Fall, and lighter green with flowers and such for Spring. Early_Spring will have just a trace of snow on the ground.

I think the open countryside is a big improvement. the greener hues look much more natural, as does the reduced contrast between different fields. Also the greener shades reduce the [revious 9exxessive IMHO) visual prominence of trees. At the same time this reduces the visibility of repeating patterns, both for fields and trees.

Only think I really don't like about the countryside is the odd whitish areas on the trees; they don't look at all realistic to me (and I have seen plenty of Hawthorn and the like in flower).

The other thing I don't like, from the original, is the buildings and towns, where I think the default ones are much better. Apart from the odd green roofs (oxidised copper???), the buildings themselves look like office or tenement blocks from a large city. The effect to my eye is that the small towns look like somebody has uprooted a central business or industrial district from a large city and plonked it in the middle of the countryside. Even as part of a large city, such areas of 'block buildings' would need surrounded by larger areas of less block-like buildings. As a complete small town they look particularly out of place, even tho they have here been well blended in with surrounding simulated foliage.

I like it! After you finish it.......a complete seasonal tileset for Stephen's Eastern Front would'nt hurt anyone.

TE's not hard to set up at all. Use the WoE terrain editor, even for 'desert' tiles -- of the two (and both suck) it's the better one.

Having the texture list ini is the important thing -- which may need to be (re)built by hand. Time consuming, but fairly easily done. Just follow the tile sequence from the terrains original _data.ini

I could send you my WoE-Based FE Terrain Editor, if you want Quack. Right now, it's got the old Gibralter terrain/tiles in it, so you may have make some "adjustments" (like, creating a separate one for Jan Tuma's tile --which is HIGHLY recommended!!)

TOD creation takes some practice, and I've never learned the ins-and-outs of importing new 3d objects for buildings and such.

I ended up going over all the different seasons and tweaking them all. I changed the colors of all the "Town" houses and added color to the trees. I touched up tiles etc, etc. I even had to re-do a bunch of the water .tga's in each folder. Still not done but here are a few pics of some of the seasons: Remember I just tweaked the original work by Jan Tuma. I didn't create anything new.

post-33545-0-62999100-1384810929_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-87722800-1384810930_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-94134200-1384810931_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-27193100-1384810933_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-43153100-1384810934_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-56497900-1384810935_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-72567900-1384810936_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-10601800-1384810938_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-09686900-1384810939_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-11964600-1384810940_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

These are looking very nice. Are you planning to upload them when you're done?

I sure will. I'm almost done. Need to work on the Spring folder a bit more.  I'm adding a couple of new churches too. Well not "new" but one will have a red steeple and another with a green steeple. They will be scattered around. When I was in Austria and Germany a few years back I noticed all the little towns had multiple small churches. Each one had a different colored steeple (red or green). It was very cool to see them stick up above the little towns. I figured it would look cool from the air as well for FE.

SERIOUSLY good work there. The stonework effect on the church and other buildings is a work of art.

SERIOUSLY good work there. The stonework effect on the church and other buildings is a work of art.

The stone work is from the original church .bmp. I just changed the roof colors and tiles. I added a bit of stained glass too.

I'm going to add a few more tiles that don't have trees. More big fields looks much better. BTW I've been working on the Verdun terrain.  Adding more roads too

post-33545-0-53607600-1385128274_thumb.jpgpost-33545-0-76847900-1385128275_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Whatever happened with this terrain upgrade?

It looks as a very nice improvement for Jan Tuma's terrain. :bye:

Edited by vonOben

I'm looking at the dates I made these posts and I'm wondering the same thing! Holy cow it's been almost three years already? I guess it's about time I just post the damn terrain already. I keep making changes and adding new objects (thanks to Stephen1918 and Geezer) and new tiles. Enough already. I can post it then make updates when needed. Ok I'll start packing it all up for you guys. It will have to be a few separate downloads because of the size of the terrain files and all the ground objects I would have to add. Not tooting my own horn but well worth it. Thanks for the kick in the pants von Oben.

• Like 3

Hi

Yes 3 years is a long time tinkering with terrains.

I've done some flight sim terrain modding myself in the past, so I know what you mean, there is always something to improve.

Looking forward to try your terrain upgrade!

Cheers

vonOben

• Like 1

I'm looking at the dates I made these posts and I'm wondering the same thing! Holy cow it's been almost three years already? I guess it's about time I just post the damn terrain already. I keep making changes and adding new objects (thanks to Stephen1918 and Geezer) and new tiles. Enough already. I can post it then make updates when needed. Ok I'll start packing it all up for you guys. It will have to be a few separate downloads because of the size of the terrain files and all the ground objects I would have to add. Not tooting my own horn but well worth it. Thanks for the kick in the pants von Oben.

Hi,

Your terrain looks very good!!!

Any news regarding the release of the upgrade? :pilotfly:

• Like 1

I know I keep saying I will post the Verdun terrain. But I cant find the time to pack it all up. It is a big file that would require three or four separate downloads. Since I lost the main files a few months ago its been hard to finish. I need a good kick in the pants to get it done. Maybe by Christmas :deadhorse:

• Like 4