wiki

[Need Help] My SF2 keep crash when setting unlimited

Hello guys,
i've a problem with my SF2 graphics setting
just install Operation Desert storm but when i try to pick unlimited settings to get better image quality, it's always crash to desktop but if i choose high there's no problem with it
and it's only happen with SF2 Desert storm, other SF2 like SF2E, SF2V or SF2I all didn't have problem with unlimited graphic setting
any advice? i already patch to the latest july 2013

My system :
Win xp pro 32bit
Proc G630 2.7ghz
VGA GTX 295 1.7gb 896bit
4 GB DDR3 pc12800

Is there a problem with my installation or i miss something here?

Thanks before

Best,
Woki

Edited by wiki

I would suggest using 'custom' instead of unlimited that way you can pick and choose what graphic options you want

You're probably running out of Video memory. Your GTX 295 are actually 2 graphic chips with like 896MB of video memory each which is less than the current standard - 1GB. If you're using mods with high resolution textures than they might cause crashes. You should try monitoring your Video Memory usage with external application like MSI Afterburner.

@Romflyer
Already did that but no luck so far & thanks for the advice

@SFP1Ace
Hmm so this mod had to use at least 1 GB with single GPU right? well i'll try that to switch my vga & hope that works...thanks for the advice

Edited by wiki

I'm not really understanding your response.......if your settings allow you to load on High then start there and adjust your settings upward in custom ...... You can probably narrow it down to which setting is causing the problem

The game is still quite enjoyable on settings lower than unlimited

Edited by Romflyer

I'm not really understanding your response.......if your settings allow you to load on High then start there and adjust your settings upward in custom ...... You can probably narrow it down to which setting is causing the problem

The game is still quite enjoyable on settings lower than unlimited

oh yes..i already use custom setting like u said and i check each one that which one is causing the crash

just found that if i choose cockpit unlimited and the object detail is unlimited then it crash or the cockpit texture become white but if i choose the cockpit unlimited and the object detail is high then it works...the problem came from the object detail which cause crash on my pc and i dunno why

for me maximum setting shows a lot big diffrence especially with high and unlimited, in unlimited the cockpit panel show very detailed but in high there's blurry panel that i feel i dont like it

im sorry i dont like low or medium or even high setting for a good game like this that im really enjoy playin this at its best look and probably i must buy a new one for my video card and change to win 7 as well... :)

Edited by wiki

if you like to run SF2 on unlimited than you may have to switch to Win7 and a better CPU , Graphic card

i try to use unlimited settings with win XP and i encounter problems to , no CTD but long loading time and a big FPS hit , switching to win7 was a big improvment but you would still need a better Graphic card

if you like to run SF2 on unlimited than you may have to switch to Win7 and a better CPU , Graphic card

i try to use unlimited settings with win XP and i encounter problems to , no CTD but long loading time and a big FPS hit , switching to win7 was a big improvment but you would still need a better Graphic card

yes i'll go for it, buy video card, add more ram and install win 7 and just got info from my friend that he want to sell his MSI gtx 580 for $150 as i've only low budget for the video card and i think im gonna take it

with the GTX-580 you may need an other power supply with 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin video card connector

Edited by ravenclaw_007

with the GTX-580 you may need an other power supply with 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin video card connector

oh my psu already have it same like my gtx 295 1x6 pin and 1x8 pin :)

... the cockpit texture become white ...

Again, this is strongly indicative that ur PC, most likely the Graphic Card, is running out of memory...

it's kinda odd that SF2 uses that much video memory... whole 896MB of it?...

I wonder if it's the system memory or some other issue since the OS is XP which an upgrade to win7 will solve.

Edited by Do335

upgrade to win7 alone will not help that much but you will get some improvement

Wiki, your situation does sound odd. I was able to run SF2 on Unlimited with my old GTX 275. That card is essentially one half of your GTX 295. However I have Win7, and had 6 GB of RAM at the time which might have made a difference. 

I have a suggestion, you might want to try downloading and installing Operation Desert Storm again from scratch as something might have gotten corrupted in the download or extraction process. After all, if all of the other SF2 titles are running on your system on Unlimited except Operation Desert Storm then I would think that the problem might be with something in your install of ODS.

I know that at one time my SF2:NA was crashing on me and it drove me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong until I narrowed down the cause the problem to a specific add-on ground object. 

I think you should try checking for such possible issues before you start spending money.

funny, i posted a thread here too as i cant get my ww2 europe install to work either. my pacific ww2 works but europe doesn't and it crashes on the runway or a few seconds into the game but not to desktop. wundering if its a groundobkect too or addon but have so many in folder its hard to narrow.

My system :

Win xp pro 32bit

Proc G630 2.7ghz

VGA GTX 295 1.7gb 896bit

4 GB DDR3 pc12800

Another thing is that with 32 bit Windows Strike Fighters can only access 2GB out of total 4GB you've got. Using a heavy modded game (Desert Storm) with only 2GB RAM accessible = crashes, imho. It maybe that switching to windows 7 64 bit will cure this ailment. So it's either lack of Video RAM  or main RAM that's causing these crashes, I think. There is also a possibility that your Operation Desert Storm is porked, so you can try and redownload/reinstall it, like KJakker mentioned it above. Good luck!

Edited by SFP1Ace

I think it has something to do with the FlightEngine.ini. The one included in a mod (don't remember which) made my game crash. Now I use these following settings, and the game runs on Unlimited even with my crappy GeForce 310.

[GraphicsSettings]
ZBufferDepth=24
MaxVertexCount=16384
MaxIndexCount=98303
MaxTextureCount=16384
MaxModelType=4096
MaxMeshPerScene=4096
MaxModelPerScene=2048
MaxLightPerScene=512
AspectRatio=1.333333
MinPixelSize=1.0

Thanks guys now im able to play any mods in unlimited setting
i guess that's my video card fault so i change it now with 2gb single gpu and using win 7 ultimate
and they runs perfectly! :dance2::drunks:

Cheers

aaah another problem guys, now with Ground objects unlimited that sometimes when mission loading it's not responding at 40% or 80% or after 90% ..anyone had problem issue with ground objects unlimited setting running with mod? i've to reduce this one only in high
and btw can someone tell me what's the difference between ground objects setting in unlimited and high?
any suggestion how to fix this?

Edited by wiki

and btw can someone tell me what's the difference between ground objects setting in unlimited and high?

game generated parked aircraft

won't be there on High

game generated parked aircraft

won't be there on High

Might be a stupid question - but hey, that's why I was put on this Earth.. - but are game generated parked aircraft just eye-candy or are they somehow resource tracked in the campaign? For instance, if I destroy a row of MiGs at an airfield that are parked - does that in any way affect the campaign or are they just there as scenery filler? (Would be cool if it was the former..)

BeachAV8R

In a campaign the destroyed MiGs will affect the enemy supply - there is a quote from TK to that effect somewhere

problem solved for now by installing win 7 64bit and wipeout my win 7 32bit...strange but that works with all unlimited setting