Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Syrian MiG-29 apparently in action

Mig-29-over-Damascus.jpg

It looks like Assad has decided to use Syrian Arab Air Force (SyAAF) Mig-29 aircraft to attack rebel forces in Syria.

The image in this post (published on a Facebook page that covers SyAAF news) clearly shows a Syrian Fulcrum flying over Damascus with B-8 pods for 80 mm unguided rockets.

The photograph is particularly interesting because it not only witnesses the appearance of the SyAAF Fulcrum in the air war against the Free Syrian Army (FSA), but it also marks its use as an air-to-surface platform to deliver unguided weapons.

In other words, after being kept away from the war, the Mig-29 is currently being used against ground targets with “dumb” weapons that require it to fly at lower altitudes, most probably well within the MANPADS range.

Is Assad running short of all its other warplanes?

http://theaviationist.com/2013/10/22/mig-29-damascus/

Edited by MigBuster

I think he is becoming more confident. One of the things that led the world to intervene against Khadaffi was the use of Warplanes against cities. Assad tried to use less obvious routes of terror, but now he knows the world just ain´t going to care - so he brings out the big guns. With Turkey intercepting anything that flies to close, having Fulcrums in the air is also a strong signal. And Russia will keep giving him ammo and spare parts. 

Is Assad running short of all its other warplanes?

I sure hope so...

Fulcrums seem to be doing some useful work on terrorists behinds :good:

• Like 2

29's pilots also need combat experience. Why not fly them?

• Like 1

Most rebels in Syria are nothing more than terrorist scum like Al Qaida and whatever splinter groups there are (and there are many little groups at work now there).

If they would overthrow the Assad regime it would not be good, because it would turn Syria into a breeding ground for all kind of terrorist groups, just like what's going on in Iraq and soon Afghanistan when the Taliban decides to move back into the country and take over everything again.

• Like 2

Well, Afganistan shows some progress. The Taliban is leaving the Ice Cream factories well alone; even allowing deliveries to pass with the only toll being an ice cream cone!

I am actually not joking.

FSA - Puhlease try Al-Qaeda.  You know what it seems that even Al-Qaeda has understood and adapted to one fact, call yourself freedom fighters or free this and the West (and I do include our dumbass neo-con goons in the Canadian govt government) will fall for the PR.  It seems that in the post 911 world anything with the freedom tag is bound to get sympathy right or wrong.  These so called ``Freedom fighters`` that so many people feel sorry for and wish Asad were gone would not think twice before busting a cap in your skul.  Asad as vile and reprehensible he may be to some here is the type of control that is needed in the country to deal with such scum. 

Most rebels in Syria are nothing more than terrorist scum like Al Qaida and whatever splinter groups there are (and there are many little groups at work now there).

If they would overthrow the Assad regime it would not be good, because it would turn Syria into a breeding ground for all kind of terrorist groups, just like what's going on in Iraq and soon Afghanistan when the Taliban decides to move back into the country and take over everything again.

Yep look what getting rid of Saddam did to Iraq, there weren`t that many Al-Qaeda there before because he was killing them off himself but nooooooo.....someone twat wanted revenge for daddy !

after using chemical weapons on his own people, are you surprised that he uses the Fulcrum to target the rebels?

after using chemical weapons on his own people, are you surprised that he uses the Fulcrum to target the rebels?

Hello Nesher,

Are you absolutely sure it weren't the rebels or even another foreign country?

using the chemicals? I can't be sure of anything, luckily I'm far away from the fighting to see in person..

but since Assad doesn't care about his own people it's with high probability that he is the one who used the weapons..

Yet the number killed with the chems was a small fraction of those killed overall, on both sides.

I don't get it. It's like the concept of a "hate crime". So, if I kill you because you piss me off or you slept with my wife or stole my stuff, I get one sentence. But if I did it because I dislike your race or your ethnicity or your sexual preference, I get a harsher sentence?? WTF?

A premeditated kill is a premeditated kill. A spur-of-the-moment kill is a spur-of-the-moment kill.

Killing your people with bombs and bullets is bad, but using chemical weapons to kill a handful is somehow SO much worse? Seriously? A few hundred out of the multiple thousands were killed that way, does it matter if they were gassed, strangled, or knifed?

Why does the manner in which they are killed matter so much? They're just as dead.