Sign in to follow this  
Delta6Actual

Older style depressed gunsight usage.

I have never gotten this concept.  On older aircraft that just has a reflector gunsight, the crosshairs go depressed on the combining glass in bomb mode.  Sometimes I hit, sometimes I miss.  Sometimes close, sometimes by a lot.  I am talking about large targets, such as buildings.  Is there a speed/angle/weapon solution that is the "gold standard" for weapons delivery?

I have never gotten this concept.  On older aircraft that just has a reflector gunsight, the crosshairs go depressed on the combining glass in bomb mode.  Sometimes I hit, sometimes I miss.  Sometimes close, sometimes by a lot.  I am talking about large targets, such as buildings.  Is there a speed/angle/weapon solution that is the "gold standard" for weapons delivery?

Well, in fact 'early' aircraft did have some rudimentary aiming devices/procedures. And SF 1 & SF 2 depicts those features.

Spend some time to check the following links (tutorials) from SimHQ, which really get the core of your question - manual bombing in older aircraft.

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_055a.html

http://www.simhq.com/_air9/air_272a.html

Start from those links, and follow on to the next pages if you find they suit your needs.

• Like 1

You depress the bomb site an amount of mils depending on the angle, alt, speed you are bombing at before you do the bomb run as I understand 

The F-16 in BMS has a fully working one - although you dont need to use it! - I remember flight of the intruder having the charts etc for such a thing.

In SF I think it can only be hard depressed from the cockpit ini

• Like 1