Yesterday it was working fine. Now it crashes as soon I load a single mission or campaign.

I'm pretty sure it's mod-related as I tested an unmodded SF2E and SF2V and they worked perfectly.

I know I have to move the mod folder, run SF2 clean and then move back the mod folder.

But I'm just wondering if this happened to somebody else before and if there's a less time-consuming way of sorting this out...

It's pretty weird though...

part 2:

I deleted the mod folder, start a single mission, get past the accept button, click Fly and then it loads up to 40% and it crashes.

Is it safe to assume that I need to reinstall the damn thing?

Hello slick cowboy,

Coincidentally, my SF 2 mod install also went down the drain today -  it started to crash precisely at 40 % loading.

Yesterday I've installed a new Iceland mod terrain and the game went just great.

Today after a couple missions, it started that behaviour with every scenario/theatre (Israel; Europe; etc), until I got tired and uninstalled everything.

Answering to your question, if you can't find the source of your problem and correct it... then I guess you must uninstall, and start all over again.

Hehe, also 40%!

That can't be a coincidence.

My game became a a bit glitchy off late, sidewinders that changed colour, userlists not respected, i once even got an A-4 pit for an F-4...

Maybe the writing was on the wall...

Hehe, also 40%!

My game became a a bit glitchy off late, sidewinders that changed colour, userlists not respected, i once even got an A-4 pit for an F-4...

Well, I'm very noob here yet, however those cockpit changes are strange - do you have a heavy moded install?

Edited by Boresight

Hehe, also 40%!

pfffffff that sounds very very very bad.... I've never heard about something like this before, I'm sure that there is something extrange at your mod folder which causes  your problems as you mention that you got an A-4 pit for an F-4!!! , one thing you can do without unsintalling anything is to check the last mod's you have put in your folder because may be the error is there. You must take into account that if you mix lots of mods with updates merged games etc, extrange things usually happen.

strange indeed

but now even my clean SF2 freezes when loading a mission, no mods left in the folder

uninstall everything and then installing the mods one by one might be a good idea... at least i can clean up a few things :-)

i sent a mail to thirdwire support, let's what they got to say

My SF2 also crashes at 40% as of today. It was working fine yesterday.

So whats changed - any MS patches lately or are you all using the same AV software?

I am not having any problems flying latest patch SF2NA with minimal mods besides aircraft and associated weapons/sounds/pilots/etc.

Flying North Atlantic, Israel, and Vietnam with no issues.

Hello

Same problem here : 40% or 80% crash and very slow modding time.

As I was in may 2013 patch I tried to update to july and avast blocked the update.

Now my install is lost because the july 2013 update failed but if I try to reinstall it the installer says I am up to date !

I tried to reinstall but 40% or 80% freeze on mission loading is still there

Edited by jeanba

After reading this, I checked my installs and I have the crashes too.  Sometimes on 40%, sometimes just clicking accept for a single mission.  Happens with and without the mod folder active.

Full 5 merged install.

W7 x64 Ultimate

Using Comodo firewall and Avast AV 

The only Windows update in the last few days was a windows defender update.

Will try with the AV off and see what happens.

Still no joy after deactivating the protection programs.

Also tried an old backup from 2012 patch level and no good.

Same Problem here. I also have troubles with the mission editor.

It doesn't work anymore... I thought it was related to anti virus software (avast). I updated AV, software and database but it didn"t changed a damn thing.

Doesn't sound good AT ALL...

40% freeze too, what in the world is happening here??

now this is funny... did TK install a self-destruct mechanism :-)

still waiting on a reply to mail to support

After reading this, I checked my installs and I have the crashes too.  Sometimes on 40%, sometimes just clicking accept for a single mission.  Happens with and without the mod folder active.

Full 5 merged install.

W7 x64 Ultimate

Using Comodo firewall and Avast AV 

The only Windows update in the last few days was a windows defender update.

Will try with the AV off and see what happens.

Precisely my situation in BOLD - the same security softwares and OS! Particularly the 40% crashes and the accept mission crash !

WORST: after starting a full merged clean install again, everything was just right... until installing SF 2: NA - started to crash at the accept mission screen, and somehow, that installation autmatically porked the previous modules.

Don't know what to do.

Should I install the Expansion Packs after SF 2: NA (like in the past with no trouble) ?

Edited by Boresight

I have Avast as well. I noticed it started blocking a bunch of dll files when I was reinstalling SF2.

I have Avast as well. I noticed it started blocking a bunch of dll files when I was reinstalling SF2.

Does SF2: NA have much more dll files than the previous modules?

Avast seems the commoin point

I will try a full reinstall after deactivating avast and tell you

Anyway, I reported to avast several "trustable" files

Checked Avast virus chest.  It has taken GroundObject.dll from the Strike Fighters folder.

Added it to the exclusion list and restored it.  Then emptied the virus chest.  Sorted.  Now back in action. :biggrin:

Edited by thereg

I'm on Avast too. How can you check the "chest"?

I'm on Avast too. How can you check the "chest"?

Open the UI.  Go to 'Scan' and at the bottom of the main window is the Quarantine (Virus Chest) Click that.

This is using the newest version of the UI

Open the UI.  Go to 'Scan' and at the bottom of the main window is the Quarantine (Virus Chest) Click that.

Then right click on the entry for the GroundObject.dll and select 'add to exclusion and restore' 

Make sure the file is back where it should be first, then delete it from the chest (I didn't do this the first time and it quarantined it again)

Hello again,

Wise words indeed thereg...

I've got 7 different files on my ' maintenace; quarantine ' box, being the types:

- easyavionics.dll ;

- groundobject.DLL ;

- groundobject.dll ;

- yhe[1].pdf ;

The most part is classified as: Win32:Evo-gen...

Should I do right mouse button, and select "extract from quarantine" ?