rjw

use of rockets on aircraft

Has anyone had any strikes on aircraft with the rockets? Just wondering if anyone has experienced a hit, or if it is even possible in OFF.

Hey, I always thought I'd got all the best out of OFF, but I never tried rockets.

Never even once.

UncleAl used to attack ground targets with them, and maybe balloons.

Not sure about E/A.

Olham;

I have fired some rockets at scout aircraft out of desperation but never really attempted a serious attack. I just might try it on some bombers though. It might be more effective on attacks from way below or high above where the aircraft profile offers more opportunity for a hit.

Best Regards;

UPDATE: Just tried an attack from above with rockets on a DFW and was successful but it was a very close range. Almost too close!!

post-52329-0-52986700-1383088631_thumb.png

Edited by rjw

I use them on ground targets also, they are much more effective the wasting all the ammo in the one gun you have. I have shot down a plane using them out of desperation once,I was really surprised that I hit the dern thing.

Beard

HI Burning Beard;

Most of my shots from behind seem to pass through the rigging leaving the target undamaged, that is why I tried an attach from high up and then diving on the target plane, as you have more wing surface to hit.

Sounds like you had to get suicidal-close?

Favourite tactic of mine - ramming distance, then let loose with the rockets. Great fun, completely ahistorical. I should be court-martialed for that alone :airplane:

• Like 1

Favourite tactic of mine - ramming distance, then let loose with the rockets. Great fun...

...and you live to tell the story??? I would expect to be ripped to shreds by the blast.

Or maybe that's what you think you should be courtmarshalled for? ..

...and you live to tell the story??? I would expect to be ripped to shreds by the blast.

Or maybe that's what you think you should be courtmarshalled for? ..

Olham;

that's not far from the truth! You should give it a try. It's an interesting experience and unlike those who actually lived the life in WWI, you get to live again!

Wasn't it Eric Hartman in WWII that said something like, Get as close as you can before shooting, then get closer?

Beard

I am not an expert on these rockets, so please correct me if wrong, but my understanding is they had no explosive warheads so there'd be no danger of any blast. Without an explosive warhead I can't see them doing much damage against ground targets, either, except maybe putting a small hole through a tent hangar or something. Although they were notoriously inaccurate, so the chance of hitting even a hangar seems remote.

Checked it and it seems you are right; at least for Le Prieur rockets, Jim.

I always thought they had been explosive, but these weren't.

They seem to have been used against balloons (successfully), and - unsuccessfully - against airships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Prieur_rocket

Pol said it repeatedly, that the way the rockets are in OFF is more a CFS3/WW2 rocket.

But maybe they could change them for WOFF?

Edited by Olham

Yes, probably restricted to CFS3 limitations. Maybe it'll be more fun to fire them! I've not much experience with them in OFF or ROF, as I usuallyl don't fly planes armed with them. I'll give 'em a test in WOFF.

great update......I've tried many times for a dramatic kill....firing rockets into the bad chaps at point blank distance....and been disappointed every time.  I took it as ineptitude on my part and went back to bullets.  Nice to know I wasn't completely daft.....just mostly. 

I am not an expert on these rockets, so please correct me if wrong, but my understanding is they had no explosive warheads so there'd be no danger of any blast. Without an explosive warhead I can't see them doing much damage against ground targets, either, except maybe putting a small hole through a tent hangar or something. Although they were notoriously inaccurate, so the chance of hitting even a hangar seems remote.

JFM;

The rockets in OFF definitely have an explosive component to the. When they hit the wings of the DFW they blew them off with visible flames and smoke on impact.

Edited by rjw

The OFF LePrieurs are actually CFS Typhoon rockets, which is what makes them both ahistorical, and so much fun. The LePrieur was basically a glorified Guy Fawkes firework, and was superseded in late '16 by the much more effective incendiary ammo types used for the remainder of the war. But as Uncle Al used to note, they sure are fun!
Cheers,
Shredward

Edited by shredward

Thanks for that, Shredward. Maybe for grins I'll try firing off a few in WOFF.

Allow me to chime in on this one Gents.  Ahistorical: Agreed. Anachronistic: Completely. Fun: Absolutely!  A great way to relieve the stresses of the day by diving in on some poor souls schlepping along in a B/R bus and blasting them into virtual Valhalla before they know what hit 'em.

BTW, it's my B-Day so drinks are on me!

drinks.gif.pagespeed.ce.9olfNKsCP-.gif

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LOU!

I know your schedule of missions to be flown is tight, so it's always a pleasure

when you can make a quick landing on our little airfield here!

Edited by Olham

I did manage to get in on one of the last on-line OFF Sessions with Sitting Duck and a few others. I managed to bag a Zeppelin over Paris with the rockets. It remains a cherished entry in "Hauksbee's Greatest Hits". Why a Zeppelin would ever fly that low is a mystery, but...I got 'im.

Happy Birthday Lou! Drinks all around!

Hey Lou;

And so as the song goes "21 today, 21 today,..." Happy B-day mate!

Hauksbee, I missed the online flying back when it happened - I was totally into single player campaign then.

Could you give me/us some impressions of how it worked?

Did the community face problems?

And if so, could they all be solved?

The OFF LePrieurs are actually CFS Typhoon rockets, which is what makes them both ahistorical, and so much fun. The LePrieur was basically a glorified Guy Fawkes firework, and was superseded in late '16 by the much more effective incendiary ammo types used for the remainder of the war. But as Uncle Al used to note, they sure are fun!

Cheers,

Shredward

That would mean then that the rockets have 60lb warhead on them. If I remember correctly sometime ago a forumite mentioned that on a balloon busting mission, they got into a dogfight and accidentally fired their rockets while stood vertically on their tail, only to have the rockets descend and destroy them seconds later?

Happy belated Birthday Lou!

Yes, not historical, but challenging fun.

Thanks for the B-Day wishes Gents, much appreciated.  And I remember 21 as if it were only 38 years ago.   :grin: