hrc

Aressting cable on land airstripes

I just started  looking into aircraft carriers files, trying to figure out what makes them "arrest" the plane. 'Cause I would like to make some air bases have that ability if possible.

For instance I thought it would be cool (and historically accurate) to make Marine air base in Chu Lai (SF-2V) have that ability. So if anyone could speed up my search I would appreciate it.

Arresting cables as used in the series are applicable to ground objects, and most likely, limited to ground objects only. In order for any "event" to take place in the series, it requires coding in the respective DLL files in order to execute that event, be it arresting gear on a ship, or countermeasure dispensers on an aircraft.  

Arresting cables as used in the series are applicable to ground objects, and most likely, limited to ground objects only. In order for any "event" to take place in the series, it requires coding in the respective DLL files in order to execute that event, be it arresting gear on a ship, or countermeasure dispensers on an aircraft.  

I presume then that this means we can't get ships to launch countermeasures?

Edited by Viggen

I presume then that this means we can't get ships to launch countermeasures?

Not "effective" ones. However, one can create guns and launchers that fire visual effects that will not decoy missiles.

Hm, not likely to get my A#$ arrested in Chu Lai any time soon.    :)  Thanks!

Hm, not likely to get my A#$ arrested in Chu Lai any time soon.    :)  Thanks!

Crusader just reminded me that another CA member (Crab-02) tried this quite a few years ago. He created a fake carrier (data.ini only) placed it as a static ground object, with the flight deck at ground level, and the landing deck oriented with the center-line of the runway.  He doesn't recall if it worked or not, but it does provides food for thought.

I got an idea.... Create an invisible ground object with wires and place on the strip at Chu Lai via the TargetData.ini......

• Like 1

Hey! I like that idea. Suggested this to TK sometime back but I guess Historical accuracy wasn't worth the trouble.All THAI fighter bases had these and used them esp during monsoon season when braking was reduced on the runways,Also with damaged aircraft and hung ordinance.Most S.Vietnam fighter base's had as well,I know DA Nang had for sure.:-)

I must have posted that the same time Fubar did! Oops! But, what we said! Fake Carrier, flight deck at ground level, wires painted on air strip tiles like the Chu Lai strip mod, Ground Object placed on field just like you would dock a carrier in port. No reason why it would not work. Whoever else wants to try PM me and we can do this. Wrench, are you monitoring this?

• Like 1

I must have posted that the same time Fubar did! Oops! But, what we said! Fake Carrier, flight deck at ground level, wires painted on air strip tiles like the Chu Lai strip mod, Ground Object placed on field just like you would dock a carrier in port. No reason why it would not work. Whoever else wants to try PM me and we can do this. Wrench, are you monitoring this?

Would be neat to see a FCLP (Field Carrier Landing Practice) too.. From what I gather though visual landing aids aren't possible in Strike Fighters huh?

This one is from FSX:

CARRIER1.jpg

BeachAV8R

Would be neat to see a FCLP (Field Carrier Landing Practice) too.. From what I gather though visual landing aids aren't possible in Strike Fighters huh?

No, not using the game engine the way it was intended to, by the developer.  But, sometimes, one can create a "cheat", using parameters that were designed into the series for other purposes.

Fubar and Migbuster have something up their respective sleeves:

post-60912-0-77067100-1383579103_thumb.jpg

post-60912-0-46271600-1383579082_thumb.jpg

If this works, it'll be the mod of the year, at least. And knowing those two it'll work.

Fubar and Migbuster have something up their respective sleeves:

"Migbuster, SidDogg, and Fubar have something up their collective sleeves" would be a much more accurate statement :biggrin:

Good lord, the Navy's in on this too! Seriously though, can't wait!

Edited by SupGen

Dude..a somewhat functional IFLOLS would be epic. What would also be really cool would be some sort of inset camera view of it..but that is really stretching the wishlist...<g>

* Can I add the ability to taxi back the catapult and launch to the list too! * <G>

** Apologies for the thread-hijack hrc - I hope you can get your workaround implemented. <S>

BeachAV8R

Me and Crab02 Had one Built 6 Years ago and it worked. Had the Base 80% Done, Then smoked My Computer and lost it. All I have left is the 3DModel of a portable Fensel. I still have the the Layout. I just need a 3D Max Member that would like to build a Cat, M-2 Morest, Tower/Comm Shack and a 2D Layout of the Airfield...........Again.  (This makes about 4 times now) 

But the SATS Runway had been tested and worked with Loooooong Cat Launches and one Wire Traps. There's a Trick to it I came up with awhile back. So if You guys need some help, Just Hollar'.

Semper Fi!

331KillerBee

Gunny, I am in! not a 3dmax guy but I love to fiddle with data ini's. Please PM me and I will see what I can do. Maybe I can recruit a max guy......

Also on a related note...... JATO does not work in SF2 because the bottles are set up as gun pods which don't work when the gear is down. They fire really good after you sucked the gear up, but that defeats the purpose. Also gun pods are non jettisonable in SF2. Wonder if there is a "FIRE GUN WITH GEAR DOWN" command you can add to the A-4? Any body with any SF2 specific info on circumventing this let me know.