ThunderCloud

Paint scheme just won't let me select an insignia.

Bit of a noob question, I've just started with this whole .ini editing thing. :laugh: Can someone explain why a certain paint scheme just won't let me choose my insignia to put on the plane? I tried editing the .ini decal files for that particular scheme so I could use any insignia on it. However in the selection screen it won't let me choose, it's locked at the USN ones. But, because I edited the .inis to show any insignia, the game randomizes them once the mission starts. It started showing the same squadron with different markings for each plane, one with the Luftwaffe, the other with JASDF, and so on. So, the question is: how come I can't select the markings even though the game does it by random? What can I do to make them selectable? :mellow:

What is the value in the DecalLevel lines in the entries referring to the squadron-specific markings in your decals.ini? If it is not 1 (DecalLevel=1), then correct it. According to what you describe, my guess is that it is 2 instead of 1.

Level=0 -- national insignia

Level=1 -- squadon marking (badge, etc)

Level=2 -- serial/modex/bunm/plane-in-group-letter

Level=3 -- kill markings

there's also other considerations; is the aircraft exported? is the nation being selecting on the user list??? is that nation allowed on the terrain being flow on (terrain, LimitedNations=TRUE, with those allowed in the terrain's _Nations.ini)

Is the skin's textureset.ini set for a specific nation, or generic??

need more information; not enough in the original post

What is the value in the DecalLevel lines in the entries referring to the squadron-specific markings in your decals.ini? If it is not 1 (DecalLevel=1), then correct it. According to what you describe, my guess is that it is 2 instead of 1.

You are right, decal level entries were wrong, I switched them to 1 to no effect but then...

Level=0 -- national insignia

Level=1 -- squadon marking (badge, etc)

Level=2 -- serial/modex/bunm/plane-in-group-letter

Level=3 -- kill markings

there's also other considerations; is the aircraft exported? is the nation being selecting on the user list??? is that nation allowed on the terrain being flow on (terrain, LimitedNations=TRUE, with those allowed in the terrain's _Nations.ini)

Is the skin's textureset.ini set for a specific nation, or generic??

need more information; not enough in the original post

Terrains are OK. The problem was that I had to switch DecalLevel to 0 (wanted to put nation insignias). After messing with every line in the decals.ini, I had no idea it was something that simple. But then again, I'm just starting out. Guess that's one more thing I learned today. :laugh:  Big thanks, guys!

this might be worth reading (albeit some changes from 2005, like randomization allows for LESS than the used-to-be required 18 Level 2 decals)

http://combatace.com/files/file/345-strike-fighters-decal-tutorial/

also, although designed for decal creation, still an informative read

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 1