Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Medal of Honor Awarded

SLAVENS, SAMUEL

Rank and organization: Private, Company E, 33d Ohio Infantry. Place and date: Georgia, April 1862. Entered service at: Wakefield, Pike County, Ohio. Birth: Pike County, Ohio. Date of issue: 28 July 1883. Citation: One of the 19 of 22 men (including 2 civilians) who, by direction of Gen. Mitchell (or Buell), penetrated nearly 200 miles south into enemy territory and captured a railroad train at Big Shanty, Ga., in an attempt to destroy the bridges and track between Chattanooga and Atlanta.

That is my Great Great Uncle.

Yes there are some rather amazing acts performed by those Men...try reading what roy benavidez did...or audie murphy,that one still has a special place..of course some of those awards are really not earned or earned dubiously,I dont think douglas macarthur should have gotten it,hell he got it for retreating and leaving his whole command,Gen wainwright was nominated but macarthur turned it down saying he surredendered ,amazing aint it,one guy runs the other stays and goes to pw camp...

The Britons have also a "medal of honour" named Victoria Cross. And since the Falkland Conflict in the '80's is a new medal awarded to a soldier that served in Iraq. This time the man that get it is still alive (there 15 awarders since ww2 in live). Read this amazing story. http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0%2C3858%2...03550%2C00.html

Would you know more about this medal, go to http://www.victoriacross.net/

Thanks for the site of the Medal of Honour, I was looking on the internet for that.

Salute

Dutchy

Great post USAFMTL, I rememeber the story but did not know about the CMH, glad to know he is being honored.