Sign in to follow this  
rabid_raptor

OT- What if the A-10 lost?

As much of an aviation buff as I am, I had never considered that there was ever any competition for the A-10's design (need identified, airplane built, need filled, right? Wrong)

I'm sure others here are familiar with the history, but I wasn't aware of the competing design. Here is a set of photos of the YA-9, the principal competition for the A-10's line of work when the need was identified.

I gotta wonder what kind of tank killer it would have been.

I gotta wonder what kind of tank killer it would have been.

We could ask the russian air force....their su-25 is basic copy of the ya-9....

I think the biggest flaw that they realized with the A-9 was the placement of it's engines. The A-9's engines are low, and not covered from small arms fire and other atrillery. The A-10 put its quiet fan engines in a position where their intakes are somewhat proteted by the wings themselves. To me this is a huge benefit

Fates

On the exhaust side, the horizontal tail structure also obscures the heat sig for SA-7's,

and their ilk. Agreed on the A-9 and Frogfoot resemblance...