Has anyone ever tried using this little utility for Strike Fighters? I have used with my FS9 install and in an older driving game install (GTR2), and it worked quite well on both games......So I am wondering about applying it to SF and thought maybe I should ask if anyone knows about it before I run it on the game.

Here is a link   http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php  apparently many older games are limited to 2GB of ram on newer 64bit window operating systems and this patch allows windows to use 4GB's for the application.

Any insight would be great.

Cheers

Romflyer

Hi Everyone,

This seems to work perfectly. I ran it on Strike Fighters 2 Europe, Windows 7, x64. The game ran perfectly smoothly. I am not certain if it made any actual difference in terms of performance, as I am on a pretty high frame rate already, but I can confirm that it the programs runs fine after being patched.

Will it help on systems with 'shared' RAM / Video?

Hi Everyone,

This seems to work perfectly. I ran it on Strike Fighters 2 Europe, Windows 7, x64. The game ran perfectly smoothly. I am not certain if it made any actual difference in terms of performance, as I am on a pretty high frame rate already, but I can confirm that it the programs runs fine after being patched.

same here no problems after patching , but no difference in performance or loading time , i´m on win7 64 bit

Hasn't been SF2 Large Address Aware enabled by default for some time now?

That was essentially what I was asking in my original post......does anyone know if there is anything to be gained by applying this patch to SF. It would make sense that TK would have made the game "Large Address Aware" when he went to SF2, I just wasn't sure so I figured I'd ask, but it sounds like it has already been dealt with and the 4gig patch wont help to speed up my game    :blink:   

any gain on 8GB and above?

This is the technical table regarding addressing space in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=889654

General memory limits           32-bit OS               64-bit OS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total virtual address space     4 gigabytes (GB)        16 terabytes

Virtual address space per       2 GB, 3 GB if the       2 GB, 4 GB if the application
32-bit process                  system is booted        is compiled with the 
                                with the /3GB switch    /LARGEADDRESSAWARE switch

Virtual address space per       Not applicable          8 terabytes
64-bit process  
Edited by gerwin

This is the technical table regarding addressing space in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=889654

General memory limits           32-bit OS               64-bit OS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total virtual address space     4 gigabytes (GB)        16 terabytes

Virtual address space per       2 GB, 3 GB if the       2 GB, 4 GB if the application
32-bit process                  system is booted        is compiled with the 
                                with the /3GB switch    /LARGEADDRESSAWARE switch

Virtual address space per       Not applicable          8 terabytes
64-bit process  

So........Is SF2 a 32x or 64x process?.......and how do we confirm wether or not it is LARGEAWAREADDRESS?

SF2 is a 32-bit program.

And SF2 May 2012 is already large address aware.

Based on the output of 'Dumpbin.exe /headers', which states: 'Application can handle large (>2GB) addresses.

Trivia: The total 4GB address space of Windows XP 32-bit could have been much higher if microsoft and driver programmers would have put effort in. Instead Microsoft locked it to 4GB since Service Pack 2.

any gain on 8GB and above?

Only as far as leaving whole 4GB for the game's 32-bit process. If your PC had "only" 4GB of RAM then the game would have available less than that, because windows itself would "eat away"  between 0.5 and 1 GB of RAM.

With 8 gigs of memory you've got much more breathing room for running some apps in the background, etc.

Anybody figure out how to restore the back up exe?