Sign in to follow this  
thegeoff

Game doesn't start when I add "Flight" to mod folder

Hi everyone,

I've suddenly got a mysterious problem with SF2 Vietnam. Whenever I add a "Flight" folder to the game mod folder the game refuses to start at all - the splash screen appears, it loads for a while then immediately quits to the desktop at the time when the main menu should usually appear. If I remove the flight folder, the game works perfectly. I guess it's not urgent but the game looks a whole lot nicer with some cloud and effects mods. 

The actual contents of the folder don't affect the problem - it even happens if I add a completely empty folder and rename it to "Flight". Any ideas what could be wrong? 

When you have the MOD folder , let's say  "avaible" , when the game starts, it takes as reference the files at the MOD folder, and those wich are not there are load from the game main installation, but some times this issue can be "problematic", so I recommed yo to not use the fligh folder, or, if you want to use it, take the flight files from the CAT file at the game main installation and put them in the MOD folder. With this modifications all should work.

Hi everyone,

I've suddenly got a mysterious problem with SF2 Vietnam. Whenever I add a "Flight" folder to the game mod folder the game refuses to start at all - the splash screen appears, it loads for a while then immediately quits to the desktop at the time when the main menu should usually appear. If I remove the flight folder, the game works perfectly. I guess it's not urgent but the game looks a whole lot nicer with some cloud and effects mods. 

The actual contents of the folder don't affect the problem - it even happens if I add a completely empty folder and rename it to "Flight". Any ideas what could be wrong? 

Can you just confirm

C:\Users\<YOU>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 V\Flight ?

What files are you putting in it?

Yeah, it's in  C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Vietnam. The weird thing is that the problem occurs no matter what files I put in it - originally I had the whole Air/Ground war expansion installed, then when that stopped working I tried using only SARCASM v1.5 (after moving the original flight folder away of course), then in desperation I tried using a completely empty folder. Nothing works! But as soon as I delete the folder, the game runs perfectly...

From my understanding, using a completely empty 'flight' folder should have the same effect as using a mod folder without a 'flight' folder at all. Yet for some reason the game crashes immediately with the first option and runs flawlessly with the latter.

Also, all of the other installed mods work fine - all the additional aircraft, terrains, cockpits etc run without a hitch. Can't imagine what could be causing it!

Easy step to think of is ofc empty the mod folder, then just leave the flight folder in. See if it still crashes. If yes it might be a prob with the install itself.

and next step would be cut out the mod folder for that install completely - then run the game and let it recreate the folders from scratch - you then need to move any files back in etc

Yeah, I've tried both the above suggestions and I'm still getting the same symptoms. If I delete the mod folder and let it regenerate, the game works fine - but as soon as I add a folder called 'Flight', regardless of what's in it, the game refuses to start. I've also tried extracting the original Flight folder from the CAT archive but it didn't help. Thanks for the tips guys but it looks like I'll need a complete reinstall!

Edited by thegeoff

Figured it out.... thought I'd put it here in case anyone else has the same problem. I'd forgotten that I installed SweetFX, which requires you to add certain files to the Menu and Flight folders. When I deleted and regenerated the Flight folder, of course it didn't have the necessary files so the game crashed. I removed the SweetFX files from the main installation directory and the game now works like a charm.