Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

P-51 put through paces by some real pilots

Interesting thread:

Well, At Duxford's Flying Legends airshow this year, we finally got around to getting the real Horsemen to try out DCS P-51. To say they were impressed was an understatement! Ed Shipley & Dan Friedkin put the Mustang through it's paces, tried stalls, loops and compared the facts of figures of DCS to the real thing - "The accuracy is amazing". I just thought I'd share a few images of the team trying out DCS as I know a few will be interested.

From what Dan & Ed said, everything they tried matched the figures they use in the real aircraft. One small discrepancy that Dan picked up on was the sensitivity of the rudder but, other than that, no other faults were mentioned by them. There are a few differences between the Mustangs that The Horsemen use and the variant modelled in the sim. DCS represents a completely stock aircraft where as there are a few changes made to the restored mounts that The Horsemen use. To begin with, none of the real pilots that we had try the sim (other than Nick Grey) could get the aircraft started. This is because, in most modern P-51s, the rear fuselage fuel tank has been removed. The Fuel cutoff valve is then removed ("it's just something else to go wrong") and the rear fuselage tank position is used as the fuel cut off position on the fuel selector. Stevo (Steve Hinton Jnr) also noticed, when doing his pre take-off checks, that the oil pressure did not drop when he fluctuated the RPM.

Over the last few months, we have had Steve Hinton, Dan Friedkin, Ed Shipley, Stevo (Steven Hinton Jnr), Nick Grey & Matt Nightingale try out DCS P-51 at our events at Duxford - All have been thoroughly impressed by the level of detail that has been achieved by the Eagle Dynamics team. It's hard to disagree with them wink.gif Dan was flying for a good 15 - 20 minutes and conducted his flight in exactly the same way as he would in the real aircraft

I spent abit of time talking to Ed and Dan after their flight, they were both very impressed. To quote Dan "you will not get much closer, unless your in my airplane"
Everything in the sim was turned on. We didnt have Track IR working as the hangar door was open and the light was interfering. 
We also had Steve Hinton, Steve Hinton Jr as well as a few other pilots fly the sim and they were all very impressed. 
Steve Hinton Jnr was a big fan and was talking about the sim quite alot over the course of both weekends. 
They all tried things like the neg g push, wing stalling, wing buffetting and they were impressed with each and every thing they tried to catch the sim out with. What more can we say? hehe
One of the best things about the weekend was being able to speak to the real Stang pilots and compare what they thought of the sim vs the real experience. 
We are back in September to meet up with some of the pilots, cant wait to see what they think then!

photo4_zps6d241648.jpg

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=111388