igor711

Simply cannot get this game to run under Windows 7......

and yes, I've perused all of the help files, run compatibility modes (every conceivable) and done pretty much everything I can think of.

Is there possibly anything I've neglected to try?  I know it "can" run under Win7......maybe my system is just messed up:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 bit

AMD 64x Dual Core Processor 4200 2xCPUs 2.2 GHXz

4096 MB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 210 (yeah, I know :(

Well Igor;

Could you please let us know exactly what happens! When you say you "Simply cannot get this game to run under Windows 7", what symptoms do you get? There are many talented people on this site who will try to help if you can just elaborate.

Best Regards;

I'm Category 3: "...running it under Windows 7 (32bit).

Talented? Not about computers.

But yeah, describe how far you get and what happens - that should help detecting the problem.

Tried it with AV program switched off?

In the past, some of those programs caused problems, if I remember that correct.

I must say I'm very encouraged by the responses.....

What happens, in CFS3 as well as OFF, is that when I choose any type of flight (campaign, quick combat, etc)

the flight loads, I see the cockpit of the aircraft for about 4 seconds and then the game crashes (XXX has stopped

operating, Windows is searching for a solution.......I'm still waiting for that solution lol) but yeah, just when I try

to get into the cockpit it crashes.....like something is up with the ingame graphics.  Thanks in advance flyers.

I read about similar reports here before, but never had the problem myself.

So I hope for you, that some of those guys see your message and help you.

Good luck, Igor!

When your problems are solved, I'd like to get a message from you with your

town and country - I'll add you to our OFF Forum Pilots Map then.

Thanks Olham.  Here's hoping.....

I thought I'd read just about everything regarding this issue, but there's alot and I'm sure I haven't read everything.

I know I've had OFF running at one point, but I don't think on this computer (?)

Edited by igor711

I am running Win7(64bit)pro. It seems when I did an update one time I had some similar issue, what I had done was left out a patch, I think it was the minipatch V1.32. Anyhoo after I carefully re-installed everything, it worked without a hitch. The best way I have found to check it is to run a mission after each section of the install, that way if it goes south on you you will know when it happened.

Good Luck,

Beard

It goes south on me pretty fast.  CFS3 will run, for a little while.  I can actually get into the cockpit, fly a mission.......but it invariably crashes.

I've applied the 3.1 patch but not the 3.1a, as I think that was just a noCD crack (?).....not sure about that.  I've tried it both ways.

What's maddening is that I know I've run this (OFF) but there was some trick to it, which I, brilliantly, didn't seem to make a note of.

I'm trying, but each install (and failure) brings me closer to tossing the PC out the window ;)

I think you need the 3.1a patch, which is additional aircraft. There is a no crack patch somewhere, but do not use it. It will screw up some of the game files.

Beard

Hi Igor...i have Win 7 64 bit and have no problems at all getting OFF to run,heres a link to official page ....do the installation phase step by step.....hope it helps

http://www.overflandersfields.com/FAQ.htm

also you could Try setting cfs3.exe Properties, Compatibilty, to 'run as administrator, and set compatibility mode to XP SP2 or 3

Edited by Adger1971

Thanks Adger, but that's the exact page I used as a guide.  Have tried the administrator option as well as ALL the compatibility modes......no luck there.

Even set the install file to winxp sp/3 compat. mode......same result.

• Like 1

I know it won't help you much, but I just reinstalled a couple of weeks ago OFF on my new PC with Windows 7 64 bits and had no issue whatsoever (was running with Windows XP before)

I have CFS3 on DVD so no need to install it. I installed OFF Bhah + 1.32 superpatch + 1.32 mini patch + Hat in the Ring + update 1.47.

Then I configured everything according to Olham's post and picture ( image quality, overrides and texture info) + personal SIA/RSS settings for my campaigns.

Only issue I had was a sound problem with Andy's sound mod, but was easy to solve with Andy's advice.

Couldn't it be a graphics card driver problem ?

Hey corsaire31,

Thanks for the reply.  Same situation, except I'm installing from a CFS3 install.  No luck here though.  I wondered about the graphics card

but I have run OFF before with the same card so I don't know what's going on.  I'm frustrated.  Seems everytime Windows does an update,

"something" gets screwed up but I can't say that is or isn't the case.  I've run diagnostics on my system a number of times, no issues

supposesdly.  I literally can't think of anything else to try :(

igor, you may have a conflict with your one of your controllers, (i.e. joystick, pedals, throttle quadrant).  If you haven't already done so, reload the drivers and software for your controllers.  I don't run W7 but I had the exact same issue you are describing with XP Pro 64.

Good Luck.

Lou

Its a strange one for sure Igor....theres just got to be some incompatable driver? somewhere i reckon,mines running on win 7 64 bit sp1....antivirus software is usually the culprit,you might have to add cfs3.exe to exclusion lists

sorry if you,ve already tried this,im sure it,s what i had to do when i first installed (it was a long time ago though )....good luck 

For what it's worth:  You mention your system up top, but you don't really say what kind of motherboard, nor whether it's using on-board sound.  I ask, basically because of drivers - which could be causing all your havoc.

As many have said, it runs on W7 (and you knew this already) - so it's not an inherent problems with that.

But, while many people understand that video cards have drivers that can be updated, many have on-board sound and never think to mention their motherboard, or the fact that it has drivers which can also be updated.

And, as far as Windows goes, if you have the machine set up to do updates automatically, Microsoft will often try to slip in driver updates for hardware.  (I *never* let Windows update hardware drivers, and *always* have it notify me before doing *any* updates, so I can look them over first.  That way, if there are problems, I am at least aware and have some place to start.)

One other thing, again where drivers and updates are concerned:  Do not make the mistake of assuming that the latest updates are the "best" way to go.  Generally this might be true, but it's also generally true that most hardware manufacturers will now tell you if you don't have problems, you should consider *NOT* updating drivers.  In my own personal experience, there's been more than once I've seen updated drivers cause something to stop working that was previously OK.  Factually, Microsoft's IE7 "update" install caused my OFF P3 install to stop working once upon a time - never did figure out how or why, but it didn't matter: I simply 'rolled back', and it was fine.

Maybe you should consider your sound drivers, and maybe consider that, where drivers are concerned, latest is not necessarily greatest - try prior versions and see if it does the trick.  (Hopefully you can find prior versions; myself, I always save the prior 1-2 version of driver downloads until I'm sure newer ones work OK).

HTH

Edited by Tamper

If CFS3 runs then quits, it could be that you have settings too high, or haven't configure them properly.  perhaps something is overheating quickly.  It will use your CPU and memory a lot.

Try running workshop graphics config, set up sliders in CFS3config to defaults, then set up as per FAQ to 2,2,2,2,2 etc File, Exit

http://www.overflandersfields.com/FAQ#Installation_and_settings

Under CONFIGURING OFF:

Also maybe your AntiAliasing and Other filtering settings in NVIDIA or ATI panel are too high.

If it continues check your CPU cooler fan or cooling system is working properly and fitted correctly.

Edited by Polovski

Well......success?   I did a complete re-install.  I also updated my graphics card, big time.

I managed to get into a free flight and go sight seeing for about 5 minutes without a problem........

unfortunately, that's all I had time to do.  But I'll be checking it out again tonight hopefully.

I went from a GeForce 210 to a Radeon HD7700.  Wow.  MS Flight Sim with the graphics

all the way.......stunning.   I've got the OFF graphics set kind of middling, didn't want to

take any chances......but I might mess with them eventually.

I'd like to express my sincerest thanks to all who responded to my initial inquiry.  I've never

received the help that I got on this board.  Thanks for that and Happy Thanksgiving

Day to all the USA'nians.

• Like 1

Nice one Igor,hope all goes well.....dont put your terrain settings to more than 4,it just doesn,t look quite right,also i believe youll get hit with a fairly big f.p.s drop.Scenery settings on 5 may cause a small fps drop,just tinker and see 

Yep. "Terrain Detail" is fine on "3" already; "Scenery Detail"  on "4".

No need to go higher, except if you can.

Even lower it will look good.

You would want to have "Aircraft" on "5" to have them top notch.

Edited by Olham

D*mn, I spoke too soon.  Tried a campaign.....first mission I CTD 5 seconds into the flight (air start).

I have my graphics settings on 3 across the board, so once again I'm at a loss.  I have OFF Manager

and CFS3 set to compatibility mode XP3 w/SP3.  Also followed the instructions for re-install precisely.

Running on "safest settings" too.  So I'm, once again, without a clue.  Everything else runs beautifully......

Why does this game hate me?  First Eagles 2 is pretty nice........but it's not OFF :(

Will try some variations, maybe another free flight or something, after work this evening. 

Edited by igor711

- checked all ventilators on CPU, GPU, PSC? Made sure they really move?

- is the memory enough? does it get very hot?

Igor;

I know you have received many many suggestions so far and you are still experiencing problems. Olham's latest suggestion is worth looking at and it might be worth while to track gpu heat levels during play if you have an app to do this.

Have you run a check disk on your hard drive for potential bad spots?

Best Regards and hope you get this resolved soon!