RAF_Louvert

Original WWI US Tunic and Cap Belonging to 185th Aero Squadron Sergeant

Greetings All,

As I mentioned in rjw's thread referencing Harold Hartney and his autobiography, I have just acquired a wonderful Great War tunic and cap belonging to an unknown sergeant of the 185th Aero Squadron.  For those who don't know, the 185th was the very first night pursuit squadron in the US Air Service and flew Camels out of Rembercourt during the last month of the war.  Harold Hartney wanted to experience night flying and joined the squadron to learn all he could about it and in the process accounted for the only victory, (though unconfirmed), for the 185th during it's short stay at the front; a Gotha on the night of October 22.

Here are a few photos:

WWI_185th_tunic_01.JPG

WWI_185th_tunic_02.JPG

WWI_185th_tunic_03.JPG

WWI_185th_tunic_04.JPG

There are telltale signs of a pair of overseas chevrons having been sewn onto the lower left sleeve which makes sense as this squadron was overseas for about 15 months before it was demobilized in June of 1919.  There are also indications something was attached above the left breast pocket, likely a victory ribbon.  If I can locate nice original examples of these two items I will refit them to the tunic.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

:smile:

Wow, very nice. Glad its in someone's hands who will appreciate it and the man who wore it.

Hi Lou;

I must say that tunic is in fantastic condition for it's age! You are extremely lucky to find one like this. In most cases you would need deep pockets to acquire one.

Cudos to you on your find.

Great find! I'm sure you'll look smashing in it.

Thanks Gents, it is a very nice tunic and cap despite a few moth nips.  Fortunately all but one them are under the arms of the tunic and the one that isn't is easily repaired.  Now then, if I can just find an original one of these:

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/aviation-history-general/185th-pursuit-squadron-patch-17419/#post128324

:smile:

Congrats to this fine find, Lou. Again one such extraordinary item has found you.

You must have realised by now, they THEY find YOU, right?

I wish you, that more of them find their - affordable - ways to your/their caring home, Sir.

Very nice uniform especially for its age.  Any idea what the red chevron is for?

Olham, thanks Sir.  Whether these items find me or I find them I'm just glad we met.  :smile:

Thanks as well Crossbones, and the red chevron was worn to indicate the individual had been 'mustered out' of active military service.