Sign in to follow this  
beachav8r

Rolling Thunder (A) - Mission 07 (Video AAR)

07THUNDER00.jpg

This will be the only time I do a video AAR as opposed to a written AAR. The time to put together something like this is prohibitive, but it was a fun experiment. Apologies for the low framerates - playing the game while simultaneously recording full resolution FRAPS on my circa 2008 system is just about maxing it out. The video is a "single take" of the mission and all the events captured happened exactly as they did. I simply paused the sim and moved the camera around to try to tell the story. Apologies for the low voiceover audio too - for some reason my mic input levels suck.

BeachAV8R

• Like 4

Nice video mate, looking forward to more of them, or just plain old text ones! I am assuming you are "iron man"-ing it, ie no refly mission if you get shot down?

There was a pretty cool article about the Combat Lancer program in the latest Combat Aircraft monthly mag, about F-111A combat trials in '68. Also got a chuckle from me when the pilot described that two compressor stalls on the ground was "normal" with the TF30s (which the F-111 had IIRC)

very good video AAR Beach, and the voice-over was audible enough

(good for you I didn't choose Niedźwiadek Koralgol nickname hehe)

as for framerates, as I'm also on 2008 (but constantly upgraded) rig, the complexity and amount of ground targets Eburger&Malibu added causes some slowdowns but that's IMO sowtware-side bottleneck, especially thanks to SAMs and flak detection programming

Nice video mate, looking forward to more of them, or just plain old text ones! I am assuming you are "iron man"-ing it, ie no refly mission if you get shot down?

There was a pretty cool article about the Combat Lancer program in the latest Combat Aircraft monthly mag, about F-111A combat trials in '68. Also got a chuckle from me when the pilot described that two compressor stalls on the ground was "normal" with the TF30s (which the F-111 had IIRC)

I've not had to refly any of them yet - but I don't know if I'm going to play it as a true "one life to live" campaign or not simply because I'm sort of just telling a story. If I do get shot down - I'll post the AAR of the shoot down, and then I'll post the corrective AAR of how not to get killed if I choose to continue the campaign. The F-111 is another of my "favorite" aircraft. Anything that is a dedicated ground pounder is my cup o' tea.. The only exceptions are things like the multi-role capable F-15E and the F/A-18 of course..they do both rubble bouncing and air-to-air fairly well (the -E probably a little less better..).. I think last issue of Flying magazine had a great little article about one of their staff writers who went along on an F-15E mission in Afghanistan I think it was..

screen568x568.jpeg

very good video AAR Beach, and the voice-over was audible enough

(good for you I didn't choose Niedźwiadek Koralgol nickname hehe)

as for framerates, as I'm also on 2008 (but constantly upgraded) rig, the complexity and amount of ground targets Eburger&Malibu added causes some slowdowns but that's IMO sowtware-side bottleneck, especially thanks to SAMs and flak detection programming

I was trying not to wake up the family with my slightly lowered volume voiceover. "Mommy..what's Daddy doing?.."  "Oh..he's just bombing villages in Vietnam again...drink your milk son.."

It would have been great if your handle was "Ivan Kutchercokoff" or "Sum Ting Wong" or something...

Does SF2 take advantage of any of the newer rigs out there with multiple cores and more RAM and stuff..or is it definitely a software bottleneck?

One thing I found curious about this mission when I flew it. I'm missing one squadron member who was shot down a couple AARs back - so my squadron strength is 15 instead of 16. As I was inbound I was able to give commands to my wingman and the other flights..but as I was egressing the target area I pulled up the comms menu and flight #4 was greyed out. I though - oh crap - they ALL got shot down! But when I got my debriefing, the report was only two A-6s damaged. What would cause the loss of communications with the 4th flight?

It was a great mission.. definitely loved the feeling of going "Downtown"...

BeachAV8R

Just a small question about framerates. I've always played the game at unlimitated settings (with no problems at all) but for some reason that I don't know the A-6 Intruders when flying them at vietnam campaigns, like rolling thunder etc... the framerates drops dramtically making the game to go slow, something that only happens with that planes. So do you have any idea about what may happen?

Good stuff beachav8r! Keep em coming.

NIELS 

SF2 is supposed to take advantage of multicore GPUs - but the actual difference can only be seen when testing it on a good Win install I suspect.

A single jet causing fps - could be a higher poly model

Loss of comms to 4th flight - not sure i've noticed it - if you tell them to RTB they should cut you off - but other wise probably a bug

Edited by MigBuster

07THUNDER00.jpg

This will be the only time I do a video AAR as opposed to a written AAR. The time to put together something like this is prohibitive, but it was a fun experiment. Apologies for the low framerates - playing the game while simultaneously recording full resolution FRAPS on my circa 2008 system is just about maxing it out. The video is a "single take" of the mission and all the events captured happened exactly as they did. I simply paused the sim and moved the camera around to try to tell the story. Apologies for the low voiceover audio too - for some reason my mic input levels suck.

BeachAV8R

Beach,

That was AWESOME! You should do more IMHO. As for the mic  volume, you sounded like a real pilot ;).

Falcon

As for the mic  volume, you sounded like a real pilot ;).

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.. <g>

* You should hear me narrate Surgeon Simulator..

Just noticed the video intro title says Mission 06 - when, in fact, it is mission 07.. LOL.. details..

Edited by beachav8r

What's the name of the song at the start of the video?

California Dreaming by the Mamas & the Papas...

BeachAV8R