Sign in to follow this  
Tonyhawk1786

My head will explode without help...please!!!!

Ok i just got the patch downloaded, and installed and im having a worse time with it than with out. I clicked Instant Action and it loaded with-out a hitch, so i was like ohh boy, so i go to the Single mission one, and create a mission, then i click fly, after loading out my plane. So anyways i click fly, and the game starts to go to the load screen, but first, goes to the desk top, i figure no problem, i'll just click it and make the task bar maximize, but it wont, so i ctrl alt del it, and it says not responding, yet i can hear through the speakers the RWR going off and slowly getting more and more intense, so it wasnt frozen. Sorry this is long, but im running out of hair to pull out of my head. Somone help please!! :x

Don't know what to say... Alt-Tab to try resizing it back? If it's not responding in task manager, then that session has had it.

sounds like a corrupted file somewhere..might try a complete uninstall and then reinstall it.be sure to save your add-on aircraft and terrain somewhere. and be sure to remove the folder also.

Guest Ranger332

did that to me the first two times but then np after,even with my 14pak missions folder. try a full reinstall

Ok, well here's what i've figured so far. if i select my computer and not my GeForce4 it will work, for some reason when i removed the 3d card to get the computer worked on, it wont select it as the default card, it's still selecting the computer generic 3d card. So if anyone could help me on dissabling the old 3d card, it would be much appreciated. Thanks for the replies guys, arr stupid technology :x :cry:

First think to do is go Start->Settings->Control Panel->Device Manager.

Double click on display adapters, right click on the vid card that is on your motherboard and hit properties. Click/dropdown and select disable in this configuration/ do not use this device under device usage depending on your windows version.

I believe 98 has a checkbox to disable and XP has a dropdown.

I had a few problems like this before, I think I had to fly in the same screen resolution as my desktop. I keep desktop at 800x600 but fly at 1024x768...had to bump desktop to 1024x768 and it worked fine. <shrugs> :)

First off, uninstall your Geforce drivers, don't reboot, then go into device manager but don't just disable the default windows 3d crap, remove it totally, then reboot and reinstall your geforce drivers.

THEN, do a custom uninstall of strikefighters, clean all entries to it out of your registry, reboot, install SF and patch, reboot if needed..go flying

DK

Umm... DK? You do know that he has a vid 'card' integrated on his motherboard right? He'll keep getting those annoying default driver installs for the mobo video if he nukes the vid drivers and restarts. It sounds like his new video card runs fine in windows as is, so a simple disable should do it since the game seems to default to the old one.

It could be that simple, I thought it'd be a good 1st try before reinstalling a bunch of stuff ;)

If he has video on the mobo and has added an add-on (read better) video card, he needs to open his BIOS and disable the on-board card. Windows will always recognize that card as long as it is finding it.

Rogue is right, click the APG choice in the bios.then save.

And the winner of the $64,000 is NefariousKoel with a fine answer from the tech support category

/applause

I had the same prob and I had to tell the bios not to use the on board piece of s**t card.

Once this was done I've had no probs

Using Rogue's method is the better way to accomplish the task of insuring that this card won't be detected again though

Yeah, I didn't want to get into the BIOS right off, as some mobo cards will let you disable them from windows. I figured, try the easy stuff first. Then go to the next step.

No he won't..most motherboard bios automatically disable onboard vid when another agp card is used. some have to be manually disabled through the bios..but most newer boards are able to detect the new 3d card. The reason he is having problems with SF and his Geforce is because his comp isn't recognizing the geforce as a video card..which is a driver issue.

DK

Hot damn, i got a ton of replies. Ok Well for all the people knowing more about this than I (most of you) i fiddled with this damn thing all night and went to the Device manager and turned off the default card which left me with a startbar-less computer, and it was stuck in 16 color and the 640 resolution. even after i changed it back it wouldnt work, so for the people who suggested shutting it down via the BIOS setting system ,how might i get to that? Thanks for all the posts guys, It's helping alot. :D

Reboot your comp..hold down the delete key, this will bring up your bios settings menu. Under chipset features, disable onboard video. Save and exit, reboot. I would suggest uninstalling all vid card drivers before doing so, otherwise your pc might not boot up into windows. once back in windows..reinstall your Geforce. Also make VERY sure it hasn't worked itself loose in its agp slot as this would keep your comp from recognizing it..if you snaked any cables under the edge of the card..I would suggest re-routing them. If all the above fails..then contact the maker of your card.

DK

It's a PCI card, or is the AGP slot just the term for the tray it's placed in? I dont know if that makes a difference or not

It's a GeForce MX 420 on a HP AMD 1600 at 1.4ghz. And XP.

And the card's PCI, or is AGP just a genral reference to the slot it's in

No, AGP is a larger slot meant for video cards. PCI is for all cards.

So, make sure that your PCI video card is in a slot after you shut down, and after you turn off the onboard video in BIOS. Also, make sure you plug your monitor into the new PCI card before restarting after making adjustments in BIOS.

Also note that when you are holding down the Delete key while it is restarting ( to get to BIOS ) - if the Delete key doesn't work, some systems use the Insert key or other general funkiness in the vicinity. I hope the BIOS sections pointed out earlier is for the same BIOS system your motherboard came with. There are a handful of different ones, but if you tool around long enough you can probably figure out where the video enable/disable is.