post-32885-0-52850100-1386013471_thumb.jpg

post-32885-0-18564500-1386013577_thumb.jpg

Edited by ace888
  • Like 1

Quite liking the twin Amraam rail. 

Craig

Me too.

4 missiles under the belly + 4 Amraams + 2 Sidewinders = 10 missiles

Finally, something to compete with the SU-27!

Well, not all was a loss: the HARM trials were instrumental for the cockpit configuration when they started putting LANTIRN pods on the jet - the stick and screen on the left console were holdovers from HARM trials.

Well, not all was a loss: the HARM trials were instrumental for the cockpit configuration when they started putting LANTIRN pods on the jet - the stick and screen on the left console were holdovers from HARM trials.

Actually the stick on the left is from the cancelled A-12, I had no idea HARM trials went beyond load testing, thanks for the info. I know the LANTIRN pylon was the HARM pylon, and that was a key point in keeping the cost low. Ace888, I have no idea where you got those pictures but they are amazing, thanks for them.

Actually the stick on the left is from the cancelled A-12, I had no idea HARM trials went beyond load testing, thanks for the info. I know the LANTIRN pylon was the HARM pylon, and that was a key point in keeping the cost low. Ace888, I have no idea where you got those pictures but they are amazing, thanks for them.

Ah, got my memory screwed up.  HARM did still play a role in LANTIRN integration, as you wrote, with the adapter, NOT the stick/screen.  "Hey Joe" Parsons (involved in that integration) explained: 

"The Tomcat never received HARM in the fleet although testing was accomplished. Note: one of "miracles" in LANTIRN integration was that HARM adapter was just right to carry LANTIRN thereby eliminating need to develop an adapter (a showstopper)"

Good call.

The more I read about fighter development and history, it becomes easy to spot fashions and trends and political maneuvering to support a specific type of fighter and all the real physics and engineering doesn't really matter because the powers that be want X instead of Y. The tomcat isn't a clean Block 30 F-16C in the dogfight arena, but man that potential, truly the F-22 of the 70s and 80s.....including costwise.