Sparkchaser2010

A question for any B-1B experts

I'm working on a 1/48 scale B-1B (gotta get the details right lol) and I've noticed two different configs for antennas on the rear of the aircraft.  Can anyone tell me what they are or the reason for two different setups?  I'm still working on what aircraft to model but the use of the sniper pod and JDAMs is definte.

B1B_ANT.jpg

Thanks

Assuming you're talking about the antennas located at the very bottom of the aircraft at the tail, I can tell you that the 'bladed' configuration you see in the lower right photo is the old design. Most, if not all, were superceded by the aerodynamic 'semi flush' mount you see in the upper left photo.

FC

I can answer this as this was my equipment. Those are the 1122 Antennas, I can't tell you what they do. Suffice it to say, ECM stuff. FC is correct, however there is really no old/new design. They started transferring to the flush-mounts but never completed the upgrade, so it's just a mishmash bladed/flush-mounted throughout the fleet. If you decide on which tail # you're modeling (may I suggest Ellsworth?) I can probably find out which version it has.

That clears it up perfectly, thanks guys.  I kinda figured ECM but it's odd they didn't finish the upgrade.  I'm still looking for decal sets.

It's not odd, it's money. With the size of the fleet constantly being called into question, as well as whether this or that one is getting mothballed, it's not really surprising they just stopped as long as the old way was working "well enough."

We prefered the flush mounts though. No extra panels to pull, no way for the antenna to get hit by a birdstrike. Luckily they rarely went bad. A flush mount was probably a fifteen minute part change, but the, ahem "boy jets" as we called them, could take multiple shitfs just because of the terrible made in china hardware the Air Force uses.

• Like 1