Sign in to follow this  
Centurion-1

Campaign/mod idea: Air War after the bomb (What if)

Hey all,

I'm pretty much swamped by my own projects but I found this document online, and it contains some interesting ideas for scenarious in SF2 that simulate the situation after a full nuclear exchange:

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/nuclear/nuclearwar1.html

I'm not what you'd call in-the-know about thermonuclear devices but most of the projections here seem legit... Anyways, here are some interesting excerpts that could form a basis for campaigns:

Israel based campaign

With Soviet warheads minutes away, Israel launches nuclear missiles and nuclear-armed aircraft against capitals and military targets of most other Middle Eastern nations.

Israel is being attacked by Egypt, Jordan, and Syria. About one-third of Israel's military forces survived the Soviet nuclear attack; they are now occasionally using nuclear artillery shells against attacking troops. Other Arab states are preparing to join the campaign.

Disorganized forces from Iraq, Iran, and Libya are beginning to join the Arab battle against Israel

Far east

The U.S.S.R. launches most remaining nuclear forces, attacking cities and other targets in the U.S. and Western Europe as well as mainland China.

The largest individual weapons used in the war are a couple of 50-mt Soviet bombs dropped in China: craters 2 km (1.3 mi.) across are produced, and severe or moderate damage is produced in an area up to 100 km (60 miles) across.

North Korean forces have overrun many remaining cities in South Korea. Civil war has developed throughout China: with much of the government and military wiped out by Soviet nuclear attack, surviving communist forces are under attack and ethnic conflicts are developing. Tibet has declared independence. 

Crop failures throughout the third world have caused famines in many areas and have also encouraged civil unrest. India has collapsed into civil war. Having devastated Israel, Arab nations are in chaos: the Middle East was heavily dependent on the Western nations economically. Surviving Taiwanese forces are participating in the civil war in mainland China.

Other notable ideas are latin american countries raiding the continental USA for resources and food wars all over the third world.

Overall, it's a pretty bleak read and certainly makes one happy that there never was a full scale nuclear exchange.. That said, the cold-war gone hot in Europe that SF2 and many other games simulate that is strictly conventional is rather naive I think, and this would be an interesting scenario, no?

As long as mankind survives, I find it optimistic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Spudknocker
      Hey CA and Wrench and all the other lovely admins!  haha I may just be thinking out loud here but after looking at the other 4.33 thread I had a light bulb go off... What if one of the owners/admins (I was thinking like Wrench) went to TK and said we will buy the rights to SF series from you and charged all CA subscribers say like 20 bucks (as a random figure) to build the necessary funds for the purchase and then have the rights basically collectively owned by the subscribers/modders here at CA (with the awesome admin's taking priority of course) Heck you could even rename the site "Combat Ace: Home of the Strike Fighters Series" 

Just a crazy idea I thought up but I thought i should mention it cause it seemed like a viable idea to raise the funds needed and Im sure the follks here would be fine for paying 20 bucks or something to have access to all parts of the game!  
    • By KJakker
      An idea occurred to me regarding a possible new utility for SF2. The idea is first for a utility that can look at the aircraft data file of any installed aircraft in your mod folder and analyse its flight model and display the selected aircraft's flight characteristics. Second, give the utility the ability to compare and contrast the flight characteristics of multiple aircraft, say up to six different aircraft at a time. Third would be to give the utility the ability to generate all of the different types of E-M diagrams for the selected aircraft and be able to overlay them for comparison purposes. Fourth give it the ability to save the data and charts to TXT and JPG file as necessary.

I know there is a less sophisticated flight model tool for FE2 but when I looked I did not see such a tool for SF2. I think such a tool would be useful for comparing how the various aircraft preform against each other as modeled in the game versus how we know the real world aircraft fly. On the one hand it would also be a great tool for our flight model people who could use it to easily compare the simulated aircraft data with the real data in the manuals and on the other it would be of great help for the people in the DACT thread in analyzing the aircraft they are pitting against each other.

I don't have any programming experience but want to ask the CA SF2 community if anyone else is interested in such a tool if it is possible to do?

Edit: Spelling corrections.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..