Sign in to follow this  
von Baur

No..No..NOOOOOOOO (for an entirely new reason - O/T)

Came home from work wednesday night, eager to buy WOFF on DVD and start downloading as well...maybe I'd get lucky and have it all before the weekend was through. Whipped out the debit card and filled out the order form only to get an error message. "Your card is restricted. Contact the issuing bank...blah, blah, blah".

Thursday I call my bank, tell them what happened. They looked into it and said it showed up as a problem on the vendor's side and I'd have to contact them. That night, after trying again with the same result, I called Avangate. I explained what happened, including what my bank said. The person I got then looked up their history and repeated everything I had said to him almost word-for-word (as if he was reading it from his screen, not like he was confirming it), which rather pissed me off. Finally he said that the problem was with my bank, not Avangte. To quote that universally reknowned authority on frustration, Charlie Brown, "AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!"

Friday I call the bank again. They can't find any problem, either, but the lady on the other end said she'd check with the company who actually issued the card. When she called back I found out that for security purposes the do not accept international purchase requests,,,Avangate is in The Netherlands...even if I vouched for it. (I didn't see a "crestfallen" smiley or I would have inserted one here)

With no credit cards, I started looking for workable options. I'd had a PayPal account at one point, a million years and several states ago in California, so I figured that would be the best one. Of course, I had no clue any more what my password was, but that was easily enough resolved. Next problem, no money in the account. I see that they can be added as a payee to my online banking, which will only take 2-4 business days for the money to be available. Of course at this point it won't go through until monday so it's going to be 2-4 business days from then.

So hopefully I can order it by the end of next week. Attempt the download (although my son will be home on leave by then and probably playing Call of Duty or Batlefield 4 or GTA 189 or some other X-Box game online, thus making it take even longer, if that's possible). If that doesn't work, it's wait on the DVD, which it's already been said may take longer than normal due to the holidays. Maybe I'll get in the air by the New Year.

Hmm. Still no "crestfallen" smiley.

My problem with debit cards is more of a head slap...I couldn't find it!
I use one card just for internet stuff and with my last purchase being my video card 2 or 3 years ago I couldn't find it till last night.

Now I hear the skin pack is coming out next week I decided just to wait and order both at the same time to save on shipping...I think.

I didn't hear it said specifically, IIRC, but I hope the skin pack will be on DVD?
I can't do the massive downloads out in the country.

Edited by DukeIronHand

Duke, I think the skins add-on is download only.  Sorry to disappoint you this time.

I guess I'm a lucky guy.  I spotted it on Day1 and got my order in.  I used my check card as a Visa (i never use it with the PIN), and it went through with no problem.  Downloaded at work the next day, where we have nice fast internet service.

Now I have no place to put it... looks like I may have to dump OFF in favor of WOFF.  Which I guess isn't so bad...

Good luck guys!

I have the same problem, Duke. No cable, no DSL. I have a wireless internet connection. It's "high speed" in that it's much faster than dialup, but it's only 500kB, which actually downloads at about 50K-60K at best. Unfortunately, it looks like the skin pack is download only. Hopefully I'll be able to get it anyway. I've downloaded World of Warplanes and RoF, which are four or five Gigs each, if I recall, but the each took two days and had some pauses, hence my trepidation in that regard with WOFF.

**edit**

I was posting at the same time you were, HumanDrone. How big is the download file for WOFF? I have a fast(er) connection at work, too. Will it fit on a 32GB thumb drive? Can it be put onto a moveable drive? I've tried that before and I could neither save nor copy/paste the zip file to one, making it impossible to transfer home. The IT guy at work said some files have a code in them that prevents that, ostensibly for copyright protection.

The hoops we honest people have to jump through because of the dishonest few.

Edited by von Baur

Just went over and checked...yes...download only.

Well may as well order WOFF then. Maybe I can get this d/l in at work.

Oh, for Pete's sake!!! Now the computer won't boot up. I've had two hard drives: a 250GB for the OS, TIR, flight controls, etc. and a 500GB gor games. I installed W7 onto a new 250GB SSD (with plans to get a 1TB SSD for the game itself later) and it didn't go online. Tried restarting and it wouldn't boot. Put the old 250 back in and now I can't even get the POST screen up. Noticing a slight burnt smell from the PSU, an 850W, which should have been enough for two hard drives, two DVD drives, CPU and heat sink fan and two GPU's and it's only about 8-10 months old.

At least the PSU will arrive before the game. I hope.

Hi VB - sorry for your woes, m8, but I thought I'd throw in a few things:

First, for sure 850W would be enough for what you describe (depending on your GPUs).  I tested my current setup with a single 570 and it never broke 450W under the biggest load I could manage.  ANd that was on the 'line' side, meaning the actual PC was using less, as most PSUs are nowhere nedar 100% efficient.

Problem is, depending on the exact brand and age, an 850W PSU may or may not put out anywhere near 850 watts.  Right now I have a 750 on my machine with (2) 570s, and it hardly breaks a sweat (the fan, by design, hardly runs at all most often).  Mabe yours was just hard luck, and while I am not the sort to advocate 1,000W PSU overkill *lol*, I will say buying a conservatively-sized, quality-built unit is the way to go.  IMHO, of course.  I hope your new unit works out.

The other thing - about the removable drive being able to hold big files...most thumb drives (removable) are formatted as FAT32, therefore you cannot put a single file on the drive that's larger than 4G.  You can use other formats to overcome the problem.

I have the same problem, Duke. No cable, no DSL. I have a wireless internet connection. It's "high speed" in that it's much faster than dialup, but it's only 500kB, which actually downloads at about 50K-60K at best. Unfortunately, it looks like the skin pack is download only. Hopefully I'll be able to get it anyway. I've downloaded World of Warplanes and RoF, which are four or five Gigs each, if I recall, but the each took two days and had some pauses, hence my trepidation in that regard with WOFF.

**edit**

I was posting at the same time you were, HumanDrone. How big is the download file for WOFF? I have a fast(er) connection at work, too. Will it fit on a 32GB thumb drive? Can it be put onto a moveable drive? I've tried that before and I could neither save nor copy/paste the zip file to one, making it impossible to transfer home. The IT guy at work said some files have a code in them that prevents that, ostensibly for copyright protection.

Van Baur, that is exactly how I did it. 4.7 GB, wrote it to a DVD, brought it home.  Sorry for the delay, can't get on here much.