Sign in to follow this  
keif149

Additional info on Pfalz BI in the downloads section

Greetings,

I can not find further info about the Pfalz B1 which is represented in the downloads section.

Does anyone have more info on it? Nothing is really showing on the net.

Many thanks in advance!

I have a list of the Pfalz Flugzeugwerke G.m.b.H. Speyer am Rhein for Pfalz models:

Pfalz A I GA,DF,DM,
Pfalz A II GA,DM,
Pfalz C I GA,
Pfalz D Typ GA,
Pfalz D I DF,
Pfalz D II DF,
Pfalz D III GA,DM,WS
Pfalz D IIIa GA,DM,WS
Pfalz D IV DF,
Pfalz D VI GA,DF,
Pfalz D VII GA,DF,
Pfalz D VIII GA,DF,DM,
Pfalz D XII GA,DF,DM,WS
Pfalz D XIV GA,DF,
Pfalz D XV GA,DF,
Pfalz D XVf GA,
Pfalz D Experimental GA,
Pfalz Dr Experimental GA,
Pfalz Dr I GA,DF,DM,
Pfalz E I GA,DF,WS
Pfalz E II GA,DF,DM,WS
Pfalz E III GA,DF,DM,WS
Pfalz E IV GA,DM,WS
Pfalz E V GA,DM,WS
Pfalz E VI DM,WS

However, I can't find a picture of the D I for comparison. (if it was intended instead of "BI")

Anyone with better skills than I think it's possible that it's another model or plane type?
Edited by keif149

I'm not even sure it was meant to represent an actual plane. Bort who made these planes just modded his original files to be "approximations" of actual aircraft. Some were more or less accurate and a few may have been more fantasy than fact. Still I am grateful for these old timers. they filled(and a couple still do ) in for many missing types and were all we had for many years. There are a few that still have not been redone but most can be retired. I still use his Farmans and a couple others.

I wonder how close it is to the Pfalz D or D1?

Thanks for responding btw.

Apart from its tail, which is typical of early Pfalz types, this machine appears identical to the Fokker M10Z. Thetford and Gray's 'German Aircraft of WW1' says that 'a small number of this type was supplied to Austro-Hungarian air force, who designated it BII'.

Stephen1918 makes reference to this on his download page for the single-bay version, the Fokker M10E (BI in Austro-Hungarian service):

http://combatace.com/files/file/13103-fokker-m7bi/

It was not uncommon practice in Germany for planes to be licence-built by other companies who sometimes fitted different components, including tail surfaces.

Thanks 33Lima! Sounds good to me. I'll make a few data entry changes and hopefully I can find some accurate service dates.

Really enjoying this forum :-)

I don't think it's a real plane. So I didn't add it to Armchair Aces

-It has a observer's machine gun.....No real for a B class plane (unless field mod, as I tend to think about the Pfalz Parasol (AII) we have.

-It has a synch machine-gun. No way!. B class planes were unarmed, early war recon machines. At this time, only fighter planes (Fokker and Pfalz) had synchronized machine-guns and these were top-secret technology, so Eindeckers were not allowed to cross enemy lines. This changed only when Entente planes started to have Synchronicity gears (some Bristol Scout or Sopwith Strutter, I think). So an early recon plane with Synchronicity gear was not possible at this stage of war.

The most "lookalike" plane for this one was the Halberstadt BI. It had a 80 hp radial engine, was unarmed (you can edit the DATA.ini file). It wasn't a widespread used plane.....

post-12727-0-87048900-1387648834.jpg

Nevertheless, the model looks veeeery old.

This is the one I was thinking of, the M10Z, you can see the resemblance; tho it doesn't have the inverted V struts above, like the model or the earlier Fokker, and of course the different fin and undercarriage:

Fokker_M.10.jpg

Ojcar is right of course, it is very unlikely these machines were ever armed with MGs, and a synchronised one never.

I suppose I could use an "unarmed" cockpit file, but on the outside view I can see one forward gun. To remove that would require editing the 3d model? That's out of my experience range at the moment :-)

I guess the wise thing to do would be just drop it from my plane library.

Cheers.

Thanks! I'll turn it into an unarmed observation craft or perhaps a field mod with a rear gun.

you can remove the guns via data file edits and even add a pilot to the rear seat.

Lol, ok I give. I can add a new cockpit, disable the forward gun from firing, but I can't figure out how to keep it from showing on the external plane view ;-)

Best just zap it, methinks. It seems not to be historical and Stephen1918's Fokker M7/BI fills the role (and is the one used in Gterl's new Italian campaign, whereas I think the 'BII' is not used in any campaign; none that I play anyway). So no real need to 'disarm' it. I know, I know, it's had to resist the temptation to have 'everything' but one can go too far...!

Yeah, you're probably right. re: my post #10.

Sad though. it's like throwing out a day old slice of pizza.

Is 3DsMax the editor of choice for making new models?