Sign in to follow this  
Shiloh

First Three WOFF Flights

I came home yesterday to WOFF in my mailbox and the timing couldn't have been more perfect. Starting tomorrow, I have 10 days off so I'll have plenty of time to explore.

Overall, I'm impressed with WOFF. My framerates are hanging around 20-25 FPS so I need to make some adjustments for sure. I like the workshop settings - easy to use and a lot cleaner than OFF. I have my joystick programmed for the most part but it needs some tweaking. I really like the menus and the details off my squads and mates. The detail on the planes is amazing and the atmospheric effects are wonderful. The AI is tough and I've really felt challenged by it. I do need a bit more time with her before I can really provide my full impression but overall I'm enjoying WOFF immensely.

Flight 1

My first pilot was a spring 1918 German flying for Jasta 6 in a Fokker D.VII. I became separated from my flight as I couldn't keep up when I encountered none other than the RFC-56 boys flying SE5a's. Outnumbered 3-1, this wasn't the fight I wanted on my first scrap in WOFF. I was able to outmaneuver and get behind one eventually - although it took some time as he maneuvered well - and at about 250 yds I started dealing some damage although my accuracy was crap. I saw a few puffs of smoke so I know I did some damage.

Just then, I heard bullets whizzing by my head and hitting my fabric. I went into a wild-dive to escape and somehow managed to shake my pursuer. I got on the tail of another and he was able to outrun me. I had fired a few bursts from distance and then my guns jammed. I couldn't figure out how to unjam my guns so I went to land and did a little sideslip maneuver to get into position to land and spun and crashed into the ground and died. Strange - I pulled this same maneuver a hundred times before but never crashed. My plane must have been damaged from the initial hits or WOFF is less forgiving.

Flight 2

My next pilot was an early winter 1917 Sopwith Pup pilot with RNAS-3. Again, I couldn't keep up with the flight so I peeled off and made for the lines. I hadn't gone to the front yet and I wanted to see what it was like. I couldn't see much as I was over 9,000 ft. Finally I spotted an enemy sausage and I dove on it as the wind whistled through my wires. It went up in a ball of flame on my second pass as I dove on it almost vertically. Then I made for the lines and was surprised as hell to see my flight leader coming right at me. He swung around once he got past me and I felt like he was really looking out for me and was there to help me get back safely. Nice immersion detail.

Flight 3

My last pilot was a spring 1918 Dr.1 pilot from Jasta 26. The odd thing is most pilots are D.VII pilots and I'm one of only three Dr.1 pilots. I never saw that in OFF. My first flight was with two D.VII pilots and we were to patrol the front. Again, I couldn't keep up - I'm taking the flight lead from now on - so I became separated. I flew smack dab into the middle of 3 Spad XIII's from ESC 57 and I quickly dove for the turf as I was still on my side of the lines. I figured it would reduce their speed advantage and feature my turn advantage. So it went and I was able to isolate one from the rest. He fought well but just above the turf I was able to out-turn him. I finally got him lined up for long enough to punish him with some bursts. I saw him go into a quick nosedive and missed the crash into the ground, I circled around, saw the smoke and the crater and I knew I had my first kill. He was French ace Charles Marie Joseph Leon Nuville (12 victories). I chased another one toward the lines (A. Franzosisch) but he quickly outdistanced me.

Edited by Shiloh

Well done! Did you  bring back any pics.?

WOFF seems to have all new, more realistic FMs, Shiloh.

At least that's what I felt in my first attempts.

I envy all who find the time to take a good deep plunge into WOFF over Xmas.

I will only really be able to explore it in the new year.

This keeping up with the flight problem, is it common? I for one will want to work my way up the ranks; seems it will be  difficult if I can't stay in line like a proper wingman.

I agree Fenris.

Hopefully this "problem" is one of experience and will iron itself out.

This was an old issue in RB3D in that the AI pilots fly the FM perfectly while a human cannot. We will see.

Anyone else noticing this?

Edited by DukeIronHand

This keeping up with the flight problem, is it common? I for one will want to work my way up the ranks; seems it will be  difficult if I can't stay in line like a proper wingman.

I agree Fenris.

Hopefully this "problem" is one of experience and will iron itself out.

This was an old issue in RB3D in that the AI pilots fly the FM perfectly while a human cannot. We will see.

Anyone else noticing this?

I wanted to concentrate on flying guys so no pics this time.  :flyer:  Good luck getting in some flying Olham.

This dates back to my experience with OFF and if there is a way to keep up with the flight, I'd like to know. I thought if the AI would fly to the target at 80% throttle, I could keep up. But it seems like they fly wide open and I can't seem to keep pace. Maybe this can be fixed in a patch?

As someone who's managed to fly in formation for all of my WOFF missions so far, I haven't really noticed any issues in this area. In OFF I could never keep up, in WOFF I can do so quite comfortably, although it does require me to make constant throttle and heading adjustments.

Hmmm...I don't recall having this problem in OFF but if the AI pilots are always at full throttle in WOFF then I can see your problem in formation keeping.

I've never been able to keep up in either. I have the throttle wide open and at times I can keep up but it's rare and eventually they leave me in the dust. What might I be doing wrong here?

Could it be a loadout issue, like flares? Or perhaps the flight takes off with less fuel? 

At least in the Camel, my squadron flies at a steady 90mph. I can stay with them without great difficulty by constantly working my HOTAS setup. They never go to 100 percent throttle unless they see the enemy.

I thought the Devs stated that the weight/power differential between player and AI had been fixed and that all a/c are the same?

I'm assuming this wasn't a WOFF patch fix as I'm running vanilla off the DVD.

Just yesterday, my two mates were flying D.VII's and I had a Dr.1 and I couldn't keep up with them for the life of me which I would expect considering the craft. But even with like craft, I can't keep the formation. Maybe it's a Workshop setting?

Tried only Albatros planes so far.

When I take off (as the last pilot), I can usually climb higher than the AI and keep up with them.

Only after a while they seem to do that more perfectly.

So, my advice would be: climb higher at the beginning, and while they come up,

you climb in a more shallow angle to allow you good enough forward speed.

That did the trick for me.

If you find yourself loosing contact to them, try firstly to remain with them in a vertical line;

only after that is done, you could climb - step by step.

I call it "staircasing". You pull your kite up and climb a little, then level the nose with horizon

to gain full forward speed again - then you make the next step, and so on.

It works fine for me.

Another chance to catch up with them is to cut off a part of the course they follow.

Thanks Olham...I'll try that.

Just last night I flew the Brisfit and I was able to stay with the group until roughly 10,500 feet. Then they pulled away from me like I was just standing there. I lost complete sight of them in under 5 minutes.

How are you liking the Albatros so far Olham?

Just taking a shot here, Shiloh, and I apologize if I'm off the mark, but could it be your mixture settings? Not leaning it out would cause you to lose power as your altitude increases (although the bad effects should kick in long before 10,000'). I would guess that the AI are programmed to keep theirs adjusted properly at all times.

• Like 1

von Baur, I checked my workshop settings and I had auto mixture checked off so that might have been it. I'll check back and confirm.

Out of curiosity, what control setups are you lot using? I swear, I have zero issues keeping up with and maintaining formation with my Camel squadron. It's become second nature, but it does require regular throttle/stick/mixture adjustments.

How are you liking the Albatros so far Olham?

I have only made three sorties so far, due to various problems.

I was very surprised, that "my good old Albatros" seems to show different flying characteristics now -

at least in my configuration the left turn is really nasty - the kite doesn't want to go left round.

I guess I will have to find out completely new, how to do it.

I think I may have found the issue Javito. Since I checked 'on' for auto mixture, it seems I'm able to keep up. I will have to test more though to be sure.

That's odd Olham. I wouldn't think the handling would change that much if at all. But if anyone would know it would be you. After many days of testing, I believe I'm getting closer to optimizing this game on system but it did involve some over clocking.

Now that you've identified the mixture as the problem, Shiloh, I'll give you the secret to keeping it correct manually, thus increasing the realism and immersion. First, note your rpms as you take off. This is that aircraft's maximum power. It will be different for each plane, so don't assume you know what it will be...LOOK. As you climb and the rpm's decrease (usually starts being noticeable about 4,000-5,000 feet) lean out the mixture slowly. As you do you'll see the rpm's increase. I've never seen it go all the way back up to sea level maximum, so you can't use that to know when it's optimized. Instead, keep going until the power drops off sharply then increase the mixture until the engine comes back to life. That will hold you for another couple thousand feet. On the way down you simply increase the mixture when you notice the engine cutting out. That's the method my father learned as a bomber pilot in WWII and it's worked in OFF for me. Like with anything else, as you get used to each airplane you'll learn what your maximum rpm's are at various altitudes and you'll be able to stop before the power drops off.

If you don't want to go through all that (and it's not as complex as it sounds when being explained in writing) you can simply set the mixture at about 50-60% when you hit 5,000 feet and be good to 10,00-12,000. Even easier (though less immersive) is leaving auto-mixture on.

Folks;

I have been flying camel missions with no difficulty keeping up. I have auto mixture turned on.

Shiloh, when you have this problem try turning auto pilot on to see if he can catch up. It is worth the experiment. try (Ctrl+Shift+A) to turn it on and off. Let us know your findings. That should identify whether or not it is an FM problem. I suspect it's not FM.

Cheers

Edited by rjw

Thanks Von Baur and rjw. I've flown 4-5 campaign missions and so far I'm able to keep up. There are times when I'm full throttle and just keeping pace and I've used Olham's technique of stair-casing. It is dangerous business though as the craft are often so tight together. Just last night two of my mates collided while switching direction and both perished. I'm ok with auto-mixture right now Von Baur though thanks for the technique and your dads story connected with it. And yes, I will try auto pilot to see how I keep formation.