Sign in to follow this  
TSMcQueen

Unpainted "objects" in older terrains?

Hey ya'll...its me Tailspin. I've been messing around with some older terrains and different installs like KAW and the EAWEuroWWII terrains. I'm seeing solid white objects like shorline "docks" and river bridges. Apparently there are no texture bmp's/tga's in the terrain folders for these objects? In fact I can't find any reference to these things in the terrain files. Any ideas how to fix this? I'd just as soon remove them altogether...especially to replace the bridges with actual target types. I never was much of a terrain modder so have no idea if possible or where to begin. Help?  :biggrin:

This I would like to know also!

KAW has been redone, and if that's the one you're using, you need to read this:

Korea Terrain (V3) for SF2

== For SF2, Full 5 Merged, @ July 2012 Patch Level, -ONLY- ==

* Note: while this terrain references the GermanyCE.cat for terrain objects, it =MUST= be used in the SF2NA (or Full-5 Merged) environment. Use in any other type of install is at the End Users risk, as carrier operations have some 'oddities withou the necessary SF2NA coding. No support is/will be available for those End Users withOUT SF2NA. It it also supremly reccomended (read: required!) that you have SF2I's Expansion Pak 1, as several of the aircraft (soon to be) supplied WILL be needed for historik 1950s usage. SF2V is also required for it's Skyraider. If you do NOT meet these requirements, you download this at your own risk. It is also probable, that without heavy editing, this terrain MAY NOT WORK in 1stGen SF/Wo* game installs. *

This is a higly detailed terrain, with many new custom tiles and TODs. Due to the large number of terrain and ground objects used, you may experience exceptionaly long loading times. It has been fully tested in a Full-5 merged SF2 install, at the July, 2012 patch level (meaning: both a stand-alone KAW-centric game install, and with the terrain in SF2NA).

This is the terrain you've all been waiting for --

This is the KAW "Korea" terrain. It replaces any and ALL other versions of this part of the world you may have; this is likely the most accurate terrain EVER released for the Third Wire series.
While designed with the Korean War in particular mind, like all my other terrain mods, it has a full 100 Year Operations Span ™, allowing for use well into Modern Times. This is a Full 4-Season terrain, with all the various tiles and terrain objects requred.

However, it IS HIGHLY suggested you create a seperate KAW mods folder built from the SF2NA exe, as this terrain makes use of NA specific coding for carrier operations via the water bmp. There are 2 "CV Zones" on the map, in their semi-historic locations; Yellow Sea and Sea of Japan. This terrain also makes use of the LimitedNations=TRUE statement, locking in regional participants. And yes, as expected, there ARE Easter Eggs.

When building you KAW Mods Folder, you are advised to leave all the stock items intact, due to the Year Spread, and when the other 1950s KAW Parts are released, simply add them. It is vitally important to use ONLY the era-specific ground objects I'll be supplying!! Of course, adding SAMs the NK's have and their associated radars, and HAWK units is also important! So, feel free to add those AD or Ground units that fit this particular region.

GroundObjects included in this pak are very limited; in fact, some you may have already. The full KAW GO, Weapons, Pilots and other items will be released as soon as possible. With the exception of some aircraft; they'll be along as soon as they're done. In the meantime, there ARE plenty era-specific aircraft downloads at CA to keep you happy for a short while 

Geophysical Disclaimer: some rivers and other water features may not follow their Real Life ™ courses, be placed in their Real Life ™ locations, or exist at all. Several cities and other physical features, including target areas, will also fall into that classification. Some target areas (cities, etc) exist only as named places, with no strategic or tactical values. Just someplace to fly over. Also, the targeting in Japan is exceptionally minimal -- this was done purposfully to reduce the chance of Enemy Aircraft ™ showing up far beyond their operational ranges over the Home Islands. If necessary for 'later year' useage, this can be expanded as needed (what with all those superdetailed F-104J and F-4EJs available, to say nothing of JASDF Sabres in the download section).

As always, unzip this to a temp folder or your desktop, and you'll have access to the rest of the readme for it's instructions. It's reccomended (ie: REQUIRED!!!) you read the document through after unzipping, but BEFORE installing. As always, the Notes and Other Nonesense section may make for entertaining reading.
It's also VERY IMPORTANT to read the Legal Statement at the bottom, as it reflects changes in policy to ALL my terrain works.

Happy Landings, and Good Hunting!
wrench
kevin stein
-for the KAW Team

The terrain can be found here: http://combatace.com/files/file/13415-sf2-korea-terrain-v3/

Edited by Fubar512

that original korea, aside from being totally inaccurate in all but the shapes of the landmasses, like the original EAWEuroWW2 use TOD objects for those "bridge" and "jetty" items.

they were never textured.

which is why the originals have been replaced with ones that work, and actually LOOK like the regions they're representing

Thank you gents. Ehh...I just realized I'm in the wrong forum. Mine are SF 1 installs. TOD's huh? Sooo...no way to edit them? 

yes, you can edit them for SF1 usage. Follow the conversion to sf2 instructions, basically, backwards.

It's not advised of course, as that negates a majority of my work.

The EAW Euro WW2 has also been rebuilt for SF2 usage. On that one, I should think minimal editing of the terrains' data ini should lower to that outdated level

(btw, good to see you back again, Tailspin!!)

:D Thanks Wrench! Good to be back. Well I am mainly interested in WWII Euro. and trying to use what I have on hand from way back when. ;) I currently have a 43-44 version going with the appropriate attack aircraft etc. I was thinking more along the lines of just editing out those objects on the existing old terrains. I will have to look into the new terrain and see what I can do. Or...I suppose I could just get SF2 and enjoy the work you have already done. Thanks again. 

Yay! I got the SF2 EAWEuro terrain working acceptably (for me at least ) in my SF1 '06 install. Killed all the shader effects...but works. :D Just a little bleeding/bright colored areas along the coasts. Much, much better map!! Thanks Kevin! 

yeah, there are some height field issues I just couldn't fix. (I take you see 'blue water' under the land? I know there's a way to fiddle that out, but can't remember -- something to do with those statement near the top of the data ini)

Still, if your machine has the horsepower, SF2 is the way to go

Well this is what it looks like. There were whole tiles around the rivers that looked similar...turning down the water effects to LOW fixed that.   I haven't done anything but comment out the effect shader lines. Yes, its a compromise but I ain't complainin'. :D

coast_zps9473861b.png

don't forget to put the OLD lines back in.

(these are 08 level, but should work)

[HeightField]
DetailScale=1.0
DetailFrequency=1.0
MaxHeight=1000
MinHeight=0

[HeightOffset]
LowDetailMesh=-1.0
WaterMesh=0.8

[NormalTextureMaterial]
UseEffectShader=TRUE
EffectShaderName=TerrainEffect.fx
DepthBufferCheck=TRUE
DepthBufferWrite=TRUE
RenderedInOrder=TRUE
AlphaTestEnabled=FALSE
CullMode=CLOCKWISE
LightEnabled=TRUE
SpecularEnabled=FALSE
EmissiveEnabled=FALSE
FogEnabled=TRUE
AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000
DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.0000000
ZBufferOffset=0.000000
BlendOp=ONE
NumTextureStages=1
TextureStage[01].TextureName=
TextureStage[01].MipMap=TRUE
TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE
TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE
TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=NO_OP

[WaterTextureMaterial]
UseEffectShader=TRUE
EffectShaderName=WaterEffect.fx
DepthBufferCheck=TRUE
DepthBufferWrite=FALSE
RenderedInOrder=TRUE
AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE
CullMode=NO_CULL
LightEnabled=TRUE
SpecularEnabled=TRUE
EmissiveEnabled=FALSE
FogEnabled=TRUE
DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000
SpecularColor=1.000000,1.000000,0.900000,1.000000
SpecularPower=1.000000
ZBufferOffset=4.000000
BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA
NumTextureStages=2
TextureStage[01].MipMap=FALSE
TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=DIFFUSE
TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE
TextureStage[02].TextureName=ref_color.bmp
TextureStage[02].MipMap=FALSE
TextureStage[02].FilterEnabled=TRUE
TextureStage[02].StageColorOp=TEXTURE
TextureStage[02].StageAlphaOp=DIFFUSE

[backgroundMaterial]
UseEffectShader=FALSE
//UseEffectShader=TRUE
EffectShaderName=FarTerrainEffect.fx
DepthBufferCheck=TRUE
DepthBufferWrite=TRUE
RenderedInOrder=FALSE
AlphaTestEnabled=FALSE
CullMode=CLOCKWISE
LightEnabled=TRUE
SpecularEnabled=FALSE
EmissiveEnabled=FALSE
FogEnabled=TRUE
DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.0000000
ZBufferOffset=0.000000
BlendOp=ONE
NumTextureStages=1

[NoiseTextureMaterial]
DepthBufferCheck=TRUE
DepthBufferWrite=FALSE
RenderedInOrder=TRUE
AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE
CullMode=CLOCKWISE
LightEnabled=FALSE
SpecularEnabled=FALSE
EmissiveEnabled=FALSE
FogEnabled=FALSE
ZBufferOffset=1.000000
BlendOp=MODULATE_INV_SRC
NumTextureStages=1
TextureStage[01].TileU=TRUE
TextureStage[01].TileV=TRUE

[solidObjectTextureMaterial]
DepthBufferCheck=TRUE
DepthBufferWrite=TRUE
RenderedInOrder=FALSE
AlphaTestEnabled=FALSE
CullMode=CLOCKWISE
LightEnabled=TRUE
SpecularEnabled=FALSE
EmissiveEnabled=FALSE
FogEnabled=TRUE
ZBufferOffset=0.000000
BlendOp=ONE
NumTextureStages=1

[AlphaObjectTextureMaterial]
DepthBufferCheck=TRUE
DepthBufferWrite=FALSE
RenderedInOrder=FALSE
AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE
CullMode=NO_CULL
LightEnabled=TRUE
SpecularEnabled=FALSE
EmissiveEnabled=FALSE
FogEnabled=TRUE
ZBufferOffset=2.000000
BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA
NumTextureStages=1
TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE

[NoiseTexture]
Size=256
MinColor=207
MaxColor=255
Frequency=1.7
ResolutionFactor=4.0
StartFadeDistance=200.0
EndFadeDistance=500.0

those statements in the HeightOffset, I think are the ones. Stary would know!!

TSM could you zip just the data for that terrian that you've converted ? May have to check with Wrench?

raven, you want it for 06/08 or SF2???

for 06/08, just back up the original data ini (from my latest sf2 version), and copy/paste the statement above directly OVER the existing one, right down to the first tile listing.

Thanks , will do cause the one I have (ogi) is strange.

Yes, I just used what Wrench posted. The sea/land transitions still look the same as in the pic I posted. I haven't had time to see if experimenting with the offset values makes a difference yet. Still a VAST improvement over the old terrain overall. 

I hope you're not using the original version from 2003-ish. That one has NO water tgas, as it pre-dates TK giving us actual water effects.

now, mind you in SF2, all the water works. at least for me!! :)

I think is is, got it from my recovered data from 2003-2006

Edited by RAVEN

The version of the old terrain I have has some files dated 05 but the water effects don't work. With your new terrain, everything works fine...just has the brighter yellow/greenish color at the beach line. But what the heck, the terrain is not built for SF1. A minor distraction if anything. :D BTW...Wrench, great work on the new terrain. With the old terrain I had started working on modifying AAA around targets, etc. With your terrain, I find that is not necessary. :D Lol...If you don't give your AI buddies the RTB call after a couple of passes on a target, they will die. :D 

actually, there isn't ENOUGH AAA -- as described by AAF and RAF pilots.

It's too bad we can't really duplicate the Kamhauber (sp?) lines ... of course, now with Ravens Wurzburg and Freyas ... I should go back and add them ... but that soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much frakking work...

True. I've added "timed fuze" versions of the 20mm's and a 37mm Flak gun...modded Fubar's 57mm Flak effect (smaller bursts and different sound) for the 20's. Still have tracer firing guns too so you get a mix of tracers and flak. IMO it adds to the visual effect of more flak....especially when every damned gun in the target area is shooting at YOU! LOL. 

I've been comparing the terrain data from 06 and 08 and they differ slightly in the 'Hightfield' statements , going to test and will post the results