Blackadder33

WOFF overpriced. Is it just me?

And just because this thread is still running I will add my two cents and say it had better be a hell of a online campaign chock full of SERIOUS WW1 aviation buffs to equal the OFF/WOFF SP experience.

I will admit to not owning ROF but people have always been people online.

Just my opinion FWIW.

Well, I'll jump in and add my quick thoughts also.

WOFF is worth every single penny of the $60.00 US; IMHO. 

While OFF was excellent..the AI (alone) in WOFF and the many other features, are benchmark WW1 SP Campaign flying!

To Corsair's posts..I recall flying in dedicated online RB3 squads years ago; with all the silliness of MP out and all of the serious of real online play remaining. It was extremely realistic and role play exciting.

If RoF comes close to that, then you've got something there I would guess. Out of curiosity..does one need Trackir and the voice communications apparatus for that MP flying? 

The first important thing you need is being a regular member of one of the squads participating in the campaign(s) or being invited by a member if organizers allow it.  Track IR is not needed (but I can't imagine doing without since I'm so used to it since years) and voice comms is a must - even in the "no-comms" missions and campaigns, we still need to meet on some TS channel for pre-flight briefing, password for the server, and answers to any questions. It is also nice to have a post-mission debriefing.

The comms question in itself is a long going debate inside the community. I prefer to fly without as this is more historical, but fact is we are a minority which leads to small missions. For larger events, it's up to the organization. For practical reasons we usually restrict the use of comms to one channel per flight, so you cannot communicate with another flight which is flying miles away.

I participate then in small (10-15 players + possible AI planes) very realistic events (which are for me "the real thing") and in semi-realistic larger events (50 to 80 players) which I consider more like a game (which is still even as everybody has the same rules) For Rise of Flight servers, 80 players seem to be the upper limit for good conditions (no lag) as you need fairly large maps - ( I remember landing a DFW with a few liters of fuel left when I had taken off with full tank, something like a two and a half hours flight...)

Blackadder, sorry mate, but its just you....

the creators of this outstanding & magnificent flight sim have taken THREE years to create it, in their spare time after doing their normal jobs and having family commitments also.

Personally i hope that they sell as many copies of this as possible to justify all of that hard work & dedication - how many ww1 flight sims are out there of this quality & realism with such attention to detail???

ONLY THIS ONE!!!

IMHO you'd be a fool not to get it - I daresay that with the new year being the 100th anniversary of the start of the first world war, there may be a few more WW1 sims of varying descriptions released by companies to hop on the bandwagon, but they wont have the commitment given by the developers of WOFF.

• Like 1