Sign in to follow this  
Rends

Some gameplay Questions

I don't want to be cannonfodder anymore.

My greatest succsess was surviving 4 campaign missions before i died.

Well take off flying and even carrier landings arn't the problem.

I got shoot down all the times.

First i want to know something about the radio chatter.

The subtitles are often in different color blue white yellow.

How do i know if someone is crying "Missile inbound" that he talks to me and not to a different plane?

I ran out of chaff and flares within a minute if i release them after each missile message.

Next when and what. How do i know when to drop chaff and flares. The time between message and impact could be very high. I can't drop the stuff all the time or ran out of flares and chaff very soon.

And how do i know what to drop? If i'm right i need chaff against heat seaking missiles and flares against radar guided ones. But the damn missile don't agree to tell me what kind of missile it is.

Last thing i want to know is to shoot down the damn enemy.

Ground missions are ok so far. I know how to use the Mavs or launch unguided rockets. I succsessfully dropped unguided bombs. I know how to release sidewinders but using Sparrows is a different thing. It doesn't seem to work every time.

Once in TWS radar mode i can select a target and wait until IFF changed icons . I thought once it is known as enemy i can fire up the Sparrow but no go. Sometimes if i switch then to air to air radar mode (is this boresight) flying F14 i might be able to get the yellow diamond in the HUD and can launch the Sparrow. But i'm not sure if this procedure is right because it doesn't work very often and i click here and there in the hope to get yellow diamond.

Any help?

Rends

Edited by Rends

If your jet has a RWR (Radar Warning receiver) or RHAW and you get indications then its likely the missile fired is radar guided - so chaff, move, ECM etc.

For IR missiles you might get the standard audio "hes firing a missile" - but IR MAWS are not simulated - so there will be no cockpit warnings of an IR missile.

I don't use the subtitles - I think the colouring does affect if its aimed at you - but generally you need to keep you situational awareness up - if I hear hes firing a missile I break and have a look around

Using radar on F-14/15

http://www.thirdwire.com/man/sf2/Strike_Fighters_2.htm

Radar for F-4 F-15 and Vector RWR tutorial

http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB3w/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2343

Lastly SF2 has a lot of real life considerations simulated - so all aspect IR missiles don't appear till around 1978 (before then its tail aspect only) - the AIM-7s are unreliable and will blow up for no reason - therefore they need to be employed within correct parameters to stand any chance.

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_061a.html

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_055a.html

Red subtitles mean they're shooting at You and Yellow subtitles mean they're shooting at your Wingmen.

I can help you with a couple of things.  First "Missle Inbound",  if the text is RED the missle is coming at you,  if it's YELLOW it's someone else. Second, "chaff and flare dispensers", look in the DATA.ini of the plane you are using.  It's in the folder of the plane you are using.  It'll say for example Mig-21_DATA.  Open this folder and scroll down until you find the Countermeasures section. Here it will tell you how many chaff an flares you are carrying.  You can change these numbers to whatever you like.  I like to use 60 for each.  After you do this click save in the FILE bar and you will now have more chaff and flares. Also, flares are for heat seekers,  chaff is for radar guided and you will get a warning tone that the missle is locking onto you,  you won't get a tone with a heat seeker though but you will get a Red "Missle Inbound" text. When you see this start dropping flares and turn hard, climb,whatever you can do to escape. This also applies to Radar Guided.  When you hear that Lockon tone start realeasing chaff. I hope this has been helpful.  Good Hunting.

Ok, i'm one step further. Havn't flown the F-15 yet but F-14 in TWS Mode it's not enough to select the Target in Radar i also need to Acquire selected target. I've moved this function from the Keyboard button to one of my Joystick buttons. Makes life easier.

"situational awareness" that's something i still try to learn.

I will keep an eye on RWR and the red subtitles. Hope it helps.

Oh yes i heard the beeping and constant tone before.......i got killed ;-)

Thx for help guys!

Rends

Edited by Rends

4 missions in a campaign? That´s better than i´ve ever got since i started back in 2007. I´m the Sim World´s Largest Distribuitor of Phantom Parts.