Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Mapping Project

Greetings Fellow WOFF'ers,

Now that our long awaited sim has arrived I decided it was high time for me to start a project I've had on the back burner for a good long while.  I have always wanted to give mapping a go despite the inherent issues with the old CFS3 engine, (or maybe because of them, being the glutton for punishment that I am).  So early yesterday morning I devised a course of action, brewed a very large pot of strong coffee, climbed into my flight gear, and took to the WOFF skies over Verdun.  I began by setting up my FRAPS to snap a photo every ten seconds when I hit the hot key.  Then I set up a quick scenario in WOFF flying a BIFF, (as it is very steady and loves the altitude).  I picked winter with no snow cover, turned the clock to high noon, choose 'Clear Sky' in the weather options, set wind to 'off', made sure the petrol was full and the guns were empty, said a prayer, and took off.  I went to 8x time acceleration and climbed to 20,000 feet, turned to the north and switched on the camera.  From this point on it was simply a matter of maintaining steady flight as I worked my way to the west, flying first north, then south, then north, then south ... you get the idea.  After 20 minutes of this I decided to see how it all was working out so I landed my bus and headed to the darkroom.  Some times pure dumb luck is in one's favour and this was one of those occasions.  Photo spacing was ideal and despite the 'fish eye' distortion that CFS3 is famous for, assembling the photos to create a full map of the area went far easier than I imagined it would, (still tedious mind you, but relatively easy).  After I finished up putting together the first batch of photos, I went back up and did it all again, this time working my way to the east, and again the results were outstanding.  Assembled the second batch of photos and now have a section of the WOFF front around Verdun that is about 30 miles from east to west and 50 miles from north to south.  I now have the task of creating a map from my handiwork.  Here is a small image showing the assembled photos:

Verdun_map_project_thumbnail_001.jpg

The full-sized image is gigantic and even in a JPEG is around 50 megabytes.  The final map will not be nearly so large, but I kept the photos full-size to work from so that I will be able to place the needed details on the final map.

I'll keep you all posted as things progress further.  Going to find the eye drops now and add something more than cream to my coffee.   :grin:

Cheers!

Lou

Lou, I have no idea how good (or bad) your map may be looking in the end,

but it sounds like a lot of work (and eye-drops).

However - if it should turn out to look great - maybe you can make it a present

to OBD, and they can perhaps make use of it, maybe build it in to the sim?

The inflight map is so far my own major concern - it offers no terrain details;

it is solely filled with strategic symbols. Maybe that could be changed in a future

version, or in a later WOFF II ?

Lou;

A rather massive undertaking so I hope it proves useful after all the effort. I rather think you are a glutton for punishment. Oh and don't forget to model those farm fences in it! :biggrin:

Olham;

I completely agree with you on your points. The in game map is esthetically the weakest link in WOFF. After using Lothars maps in OFF it is hard to adjust to such basic a map as WOFF has and it weakens the immersion.  I'm sure th Devs are aware of it and will likely replace it with a mod of fix some time soon. Cheers Mate

Very cool and clever of you. Look forward to the final results.

Looks to be a prodigious effort, Lou. I too, am trying to evolve a map solution. I bought a Michelin map of France and razored out the top left section. My intention was/is to get it laminated at Office Max so I can use a dry-erase marker to plot compass headings to and from the target. (for my upcoming Rolland C.II career) However; even with a full scale road map (and my antique eyes) the type is still so small that it's an effort to find anything. Then, when I installed ROF on the new WWI only computer, I discovered that they had included a paper map with WWI airfields. So...I think I'll get them both laminated. But..as DukeIronHand say, 'Looking forward to the final results'.

Would it be possible, once you have the major map done (of whatever size that may be) to mark the airfields and calculate (based on fuel/flying time) the area of operations? That way, your overall map could be broken down into a series of smaller files?

Lou;

A rather massive undertaking so I hope it proves useful after all the effort. I rather think you are a glutton for punishment. Oh and don't forget to model those farm fences in it! :biggrin:

Olham;

I completely agree with you on your points. The in game map is esthetically the weakest link in WOFF. After using Lothars maps in OFF it is hard to adjust to such basic a map as WOFF has and it weakens the immersion.  I'm sure th Devs are aware of it and will likely replace it with a mod of fix some time soon. Cheers Mate

Indeed what an undertaking!  And the first thing I've heard that is deficient in WOFF.  But aren't the same areas modeled as last time, or is it just so much more detailed?

And speaking of Lothar, has he been around?  I feel he did so much to keep OFF alive, and was such a good chap, I hope the only reason we haven't seen him here because he's too busy flying WOFF!

Edited by HumanDrone

Yea I've also been wondering where Lothar's at. And Bletchley and Bullethead.

Lou, this project seems insane. Yet that's quite fitting considering you're the man with the massive library of original editions and complete. WW1 aviator uniform. Wish you the best, and if anyone can make an epic map for WOFF, I know it's gonna be you.

Ps, I've been using the 1916 maps in WOFF you uploaded for OFF a year or two ago. Thanks for those!

Indeed what an undertaking!  And the first thing I've heard that is deficient in WOFF.  But aren't the same areas modeled as last time, or is it just so much more detailed?

And speaking of Lothar, has he been around?  I feel he did so much to keep OFF alive, and was such a good chap, I hope the only reason we haven't seen him here because he's too busy flying WOFF!

Last I heard, Lothar moved somewhere in Washington State on a new Job and is probably so busy he has no time for the forum I guess. Hopefully he will show up again.

Oh, thanks!  He has my sympathy there.  I just d/l'd the skins and I haven't even installed WOFF yet!  We're really busy at work.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Gents.  Yes, it is a rather massive undertaking but it is going well.  And just as a teaser and to give you an idea of where I am heading with this:

Verdun_map_project_teaser_001.jpg

The whole point of this project for me is to create a "paper" map that anyone can use to navigate with, (if they so wish), thus taking the immersion level just that much further in this wonderful sim.

:smile:

Thank you for undertaking this project Lou. I am looking forward to seeing the final map. I have a rather large window with a white shade pulled down right behind my monitor and that would make quite a nice area for a map of the front. I'm unimpressed with the in-game map and I'm looking for a more immersive alternative and what better than this?

Thank you my Barmy comrade and best of luck with this.

Geeze, Lou - I hope you are not heading for a marriage crisis over Christmas with that project!

It looks very good, Sir! All I'd change is the grey - a friendly Chamois might work wonders?

I know its going to be a labour of love for you Lou,its looking great Sir...i wish you all the very best with your project drinks.gif.pagespeed.ce.9olfNKsCP-.gif

I like how it's looking very much. I have always liked the "paper map" look when games and sims can pull it off.

Thank you for undertaking this project Lou. I am looking forward to seeing the final map. I have a rather large window with a white shade pulled down right behind my monitor and that would make quite a nice area for a map of the front. I'm unimpressed with the in-game map and I'm looking for a more immersive alternative and what better than this?

Thank you my Barmy comrade and best of luck with this.

Shiloh:

So will you then print it out "mirror image", glue it to the shade, and set a large mirror next to your monitor?  ;) 

(and where is  that smilie that ducks as a rock flies at him???)

Thanks Lou, it's looking good.