Was it really that bad or is it just me? I don´t know if the FM is wrong or the use of  keyboard as a controller or i´m that dumb, but i don´t think i have any other stock TW aircraft in wich i ever felt so helpless...except for Su-9, maybe.  I feel out-performed by MiG-15s and out-maneuvered by MiG-21s. While i have been using a keyboard instead of a stick for a while and that doesn´t help controlling pitch, i have nothing like that issue in any other aircraft.

The way it bleeds speed while turning like a slug is weird, and i wonder if there ever was a less stable platform. If it was really like that, John Boyd must have been something just short of a Hun-riding Messiah. I heard about the Sabre Dance, but never about it being that bad in air to air combat as i´ve been doing with it.Perhaps if stock F-104s are FMd much better than in RL, it was the opposite for the Super Sabre. Any of you feel the same?

....Perhaps the Swept-Wing design is what is getting you...you gotta use a little tenderness! The F-100 is INDEED fast, but that does not mean that it is the best furball machine. If you wish to turn fight, do it at higher speeds, and DO NOT overload the aircraft. when you pull, remember that the F-100's stall speed is right around 150kts, pretty high for ANY real dogfighter. So, when flying in a fight, try not to turn when below corner speed (~400kts). I also have found that staying away from over 5G's in any maneuver at airspeed tends to keep the aircraft from bleeding energy. Of course, if you are below corner speed, it would behoove you to load the aircraft even LESS during maneuvers... If you indeed should overload a Hun, you will see the wing lose airflow, stall and go in to a spin. What's happening is that the top wing in the turn is losing airflow and energy FASTER than the lower one, causing the aircraft to roll in the opposite direction while going into the spin. To counter this, take it a little easier with the back pressure on the stick, and use some rudder in the direction of the turn that you are doing. You will soon see how quickly you can bleed an F-100's energy in a fight, it will help you to manage it more efficiently.

:good:

SidDogg

Based on accounts - yes it was a pretty poor dogfighter - the real thing compressor stalled at high AOA with the burner on - and although Sid above describes instance of adverse Yaw the TW model doesnt really exhibit this to me like the real thing seemed to - i.e. because of the adverse yaw in John Boyds AA Study he is constantly telling you to use rudder and perform moves you cant do with the SF2 model -  But TW have to do this flight model for people without rudders.

It had a higher top speed than the MiG-17F - but has a similar TW ratio - so acceleration is likely comparible (considering any stores drag/weight).

btw the stock MiG-15/17/19 are far superior compared to the real thing - but this makes them more of a challenge

Somethings you can do

Keep speed up >500 kts and make use of the vertical (Not recommended against MiG-19).

Listen out for wingmen in distress and target the MiGs on their tails. 

Only slow down / pull hard for very short periods after checking six - and then after seconds start getting speed back. (prepare to take evasive moves from green laser fire)

of course, like the Phantom with the USAF, the Hun found its niche as a mud mover even though it got one kill (unofficially) and would have gotten many more than the Thud i think in Germany had that cooked off.

Indeed, one of the issues is that, since i lack a stick, i play with the keyboard, and that doesn´t allow a sensitive pitch control. I wish i could turn less abruptly, i hadn´t flown much with the Super Sabre and a stick since SFP1. Something like that happens with Mirages. 

About the wingmen in distress idea, i try it as much as i can since Microsoft CFS2 with Wildcats vs Zeros. In this case i think that the best part is that the enemy needs to fly as slow and at the same height of their target, and loosing their initiative to adjust to the movements of our wingman, giving notice of their moves earlier. It is indeed a must do with Huns. Coincidentally, i did try to this very evening, when two MiG-21s went after my Nº3. He was too far and they were about to gun him down, so i tried with a sidewinder. If there were two MiGs on AB, and a Hun perpendicular to the missile path, and further away both in range and angle from it than both MiGs, guess wich one of the three got the Jackpot. Hint...screw Murphy

Edited by macelena

I used to have the same problems with the F-100, up until I spent a couple of months flying non-afterburner attack-jets (mostly A-4s and A-7s). They'll teach you to go easy on pitch during dogfights and maneuvering in general. Afterburner-fighters such as the F-4 do really spoil your energy-management in the attack-pattern!

After that I didn't have any trouble bagging some MiG-17s.

They're mostly frustratig to fight against because they will jink all over the windscreen when you put your pipper on them - a totally annoying thing in flight simulations in general and particularily with TW.

I mostly use high angle-off slashing attacks in order to work around that problem.

MiG-19s have always been the mot annoying aircraft to fight against for me, because they're better energy-fighters than the MiG-17 and better angle-fighters than the MiG-21 - at least in the game.

The real F-100 is actually a much bigger challenge with the aforementioned adverse yaw and the gyroscopic forces acting on the airframe during tight turns due to the engine-torque. Most aircraft are much more docile in game than they'd be in real life.

Edited by Toryu