Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"Merry Christmas - Joyeux Noel" (The Christmas Truce - as it has become another Tradition)

I can't watch that without tearing up! It's hard to believe that it really happened but we all know it did. To think that if it had happened all along the front and all the soldiers put down their arms for good the war would have been over.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the generals had a fit. Its amazing what people can do on their own when led by their hearts.

...and how they mostly rather let leaders decide...

And I like the way this almost accidental episode of human fraternity in despair is bracketted between examples of the usual hatred the governments wanted to instil: the recitations at school by French, British and German pupils, and the infamous sermon of the Bishop of London. And the sad moral is that even while what is best in Man can survive at war, stupidity and cruelty finally prevail. The real world.

Cynics repeatedly cite examples of religion (or corrupted versions of them) being used as excuses to wage war. And, unfortunately, they are all too plentiful. This is an example...the only one I know of, in fact...of the heart of a religion shining through the haze of rhetoric and stopping, albeit briefly, a war.

I can't watch that without tearing up! It's hard to believe that it really happened but we all know it did. To think that if it had happened all along the front and all the soldiers put down their arms for good the war would have been over.

The 1914 Christmas truce is a particularly poignant episode

How'd I miss this thread?  I can't add much to what has already been said, but I particularly like von Baur's observation!

I hope everyone had a blessed, peaceful and healthy Christmas, and hope to "see" you all here in the New Year!

A wonderful video Olham, thanks for sharing Sir.  Poignant indeed.