RAF_Louvert

WOFF Verdun Map Completed

Greetings All,

Hope everyone's Christmas was merry and bright, I know mine was.

With the time off for the holiday I've been able to get a good way along on my Verdun mapping project and I am posting a test version of what I have so far for those who might like to give it a go.  Just right click and save the jpeg image, then resize as needed and print it out.  Or, if you're like me and you run a second computer and monitor, simply pop it up on that screen and use it as your 'in cockpit' map.  Keep in mind it is still a work in progress so there will likely be a few adjustments to be made, but I've flown quite a few missions so far using it and it is very close, and quite easy to navigate by.  Now that I have the system down for doing this extensive type of mapping I will be expanding this one to cover the entire Verdun region.  But one step at a time. :smile:  

Let me know what you think ... and enjoy!

Update : Map Completed 2-21-2014

WOFF_Verdun_Map_Complete_001.jpg

Edited by RAF_Louvert
  • Like 1

Awesome Lou! I will have to start a campaign in this area just so I can enjoy this map. When you fly with maps Lou, do you disregard the need to hit waypoints?

Edited by Shiloh

This is just astounding, and looks wonderful. Downloaded and will make good use of it on the second monitor, my latest patrols have ventured into this area quite often. Thanks Lou!

Thanks Lou;

I responded to your post on SimHQ. I will repeat my ? here. What font and font size did you use for text in the map?

Are you able to include the fences? :)

Are you able to include the fences? :)

No need. The fences will find you.

Lou: is this map the result of your air reconnaissance?

No need. The fences will find you.

Lou: is this map the result of your air reconnaissance?

Lot's of ?'s and no answers! Lou must be in the canteen having a pint with his mates! :biggrin:

Was out flying a recce of the 15 miles east of Verdun so that I can keep building my map.  I just visited the thread over at SimHQ, the canteen will be my next stop but I thought I better check in here first.

Robert, I answered your question about the fonts in your post over at SimHQ so you should be good to go.

Hauksbee, the map is indeed the result of the first recce missions I flew, along with help from Google Earth and Google Map for proper placement of the towns and roads.

Shiloh, I sketch in the mission routes right onto the map I have up on my second monitor and fly accordingly.  WOFF doesn't seem to care if you hit the way points or not, only that you loiter over your designated target area for the prescribed amount of time.

OK then, time for some liquid refreshments.   :drinks:

Later Gents!

Was out flying a recce of the 15 miles east of Verdun so that I can keep building my map.  I just visited the thread over at SimHQ, the canteen will be my next stop but I thought I better check in here first.

Robert, I answered your question about the fonts in your post over at SimHQ so you should be good to go.

Hauksbee, the map is indeed the result of the first recce missions I flew, along with help from Google Earth and Google Map for proper placement of the towns and roads.

Shiloh, I sketch in the mission routes right onto the map I have up on my second monitor and fly accordingly.  WOFF doesn't seem to care if you hit the way points or not, only that you loiter over your designated target area for the prescribed amount of time.

OK then, time for some liquid refreshments.   :drinks:

Later Gents!

Hi Lou;

I stated the following over at SimHQ but I will repeat it here for the sake of proper coverage.  I was wondering if we swap out the native WOFF map in favour of yours, will the map coordinates be the same values?. For instance will the mission routes be plotted in the correct place on your map as they would be on the original in game map. This of course is assuming we are working with a same size square map.

I'm interested in your experiences on this before I start playing with things.

Best Regards;

Robert, unless the maps are identical in both size and scale, I doubt the course would lay out properly.

Robert, unless the maps are identical in both size and scale, I doubt the course would lay out properly.

So, with that said Lou, would you say that your map could be scaled to match the ingame map or is there more to it than that, such as the placement of the structures on the map.

Oh and by the way, I hope you got that drink at the canteen.

Cheers Mate!

Robert, you should ask Pol about the placement of the items and routes on the in-sim map.  If it is as simple as replacing one map with another, more detailed one of the same size I'd think that it would have been done for WOFF.  I fear it is far more complicated than this. 

And yes, I most assuredly did get that drink.  :smile:

Robert, you should ask Pol about the placement of the items and routes on the in-sim map.  If it is as simple as replacing one map with another, more detailed one of the same size I'd think that it would have been done for WOFF.  I fear it is far more complicated than this. 

And yes, I most assuredly did get that drink.   :smile:

Well with that elucidating reply I will take your advice and check it out with Pol. And now I will go pour myself two fingers of Aberfeldy 12 single malt with a splash of  crystal spring water and toast to you for all you have accomplished to date on that map! :good:

And yes, I most assuredly did get that drink.   :smile:

Well with that elucidating reply I will take your advice and check it out with Pol. And now I will go pour myself two fingers of Aberfeldy 12 single malt with a splash of  crystal spring water and toast to you for all you have accomplished to date on that map! :good:

Mmmmm, Aberfeldy 12.  I prefer Tullamore Dew 12 but Aberfeldy is quite fine as well, particularly when I'm in a Scotish frame of mind.

Greetings All,

The first update to my Verdun mapping project is now available and it has expanded on the original quite a bit. Based on user feedback the following has been done:

Increased the size of the various symbols

Added in the railways and depots

Added outlines to the lakes in the wooded areas for better contrast

Added basic footprints of the larger cities as seen from the air

Miscellaneous corrections and adjustments to original map section

I will be filling in the missing corners and pushing to the east next to include Nancy, however that will be a bit down the road, (pun intended), as I intend to just fly some campaign missions this weekend.

As before, any and all feedback will be much appreciated as will any corrections that anyone happens to note during their flights navigating from this map.

Enjoy!

Lou

Edited by RAF_Louvert
changed image link and updated post

Well done Lou. I used the first map for my ESC 48 campaign and it served me well. This map is even better...thanks for your hard work.

Thanks Javito and Shiloh, glad to learn it is working for both you gents.  I've made a few small changes and have just posted the new revised map.  I moved a couple of aerodromes slightly and turned on the layer showing Shredward's very cool forts.  I've only run across two of them so far so if you see more please let me know where they are and I will add them in.

I've been QC training on the Nieuport 28's in anticipation of joining the 27th, 94th or 95th squadrons in the Toul area (and just west - forget the name of the aerodrome) and look forward to using this map. A bit of the map to the south gets cut off by that square of white with the miles/kilometers scale. I don't want to create more work for you Lou by any means but is there detail under that area or is it incomplete?

Shiloh, all the map that is completed at this point is being shown.  However, I will be releasing another update that will fill in everything in that 'notch' across the bottom and push to the east past Nancy as well.  I am hoping to have that done sometime this coming weekend.

You're the best Lou! Now if I can only find a way to stop shredding the wings off Nieups. I'll be in business.

Good Morning All,

As promised, here is the next update of my WOFF Verdun Map project.  I've filled in the SE corner and gone east past Luneville.  I have created more detailed footprints for the large cities and have taken out the dotted line indicating the front, (as it changes and our RL counterparts had to pencil in this bit of info themselves on their cockpit maps).  There are also more towns and forest names added, primarily to serve as an aid when filling out your AAR and claim forms.  Over the next week or two I will push to the north towards Luxemburg and work on completing the NE corner of the map.

Again, any and all feedback will be much appreciated as will any corrections that anyone happens to note during their flights navigating from this map.

Enjoy!

Lou

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Sterling work you're putting in there Lou, I'm recommending you for the Médaille militaire.

One point though and I don't know what the WOFF map says 'cos I'm not flying over that area, but shouldn't it be 'Ligny-en-Barrois' rather than 'Ligny de en Barrois'?

I'd be inclined to change all St. and Ste. to Saint- and Sainte- too, pedantically. But only because French place names have given me no end of grief with lookup forrmulae trying to match aerodromes to places, so I always write them all in full now, including all diacritics!

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listes_des_communes_de_France will help.

Thanks Dej, I appreciate the input.  And a Médaille militaire you say?  You honneur me mon Capitaine !   To 'Ligny-en-Barrois', I was questioning that one myself but I had taken 'Ligny de en Barrois' directly from a 1915 survey map.  However, it was an English-made map so therein lies the rub.  And I can certainly spell out Saint and Sainte in full if you feel it would make things clearer.

Edited by RAF_Louvert

I was questioning that one myself but I had taken 'Ligny de en Barrois' directly from a 1915 survey map.  However, it was an English-made map so therein lies the rub.

Really? Well, that's interesting in itself. But then, you can't trust the English where matters French are concerned. After all, the British Army was built to fight them, not the Germans!

As to the Saint-/Sainte- thing, that's just me being pedantic, it's entirely your choice. The important thing is that it's a jolly spiffing map.