Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

What does the "C" in C-Series German aircraft stand for?

I knew at one time, but it's slipped way and no matter where I look up C-type airplanes, it's the one German term that nobody wants to define.

3e1c2a0415cc59539fdb44aded4f0c9e.jpg

Edited by Hauksbee

.All your questions will be answered here GrassHauksbee...

Interesting article, Lou. Thanks. But what I was going for was, what German word did the abbreviation "C" stand for?

As per the article Hauksbee, the 'C' is simply an alphabetical designator.  It isn't an abbreviation for any particular word.

What is the item that appears to be attached to the leading edge of the wing above the head of the man on the right?

Nice pic BTW

Duke, that is the anemometer, i.e. air speed indicator.  It is mounted there in order to be out of both the prop wash and the air turbulence caused by the leading edge of the wing.

.As per the article Hauksbee, the 'C' is simply an alphabetical designator.  It isn't an abbreviation for any particular word.

And yet I remember so clearly that there was a multi-syllabic word. Ah well. But, while we're on designations, what does the 'Grass' in 'GrassHauksbee' stand for? Just askin'. (tho' I have some suggestions)

'C' stands for Combatflugzeugmitderguymitdasmaschinengewehrsitzeninderbak

I forgot what 'B' stands for so don't ask :)

hee hee hee, good one Lima.

Hauksbee, I was doing my Master Po impression though it does not translate well in a forum post ... Grasshopper.  "If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present. But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future. The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past."

Kung Fo fans, anyone ... anyone? 

Airspeed indicator was my first thought but it seemed oddly shaped.

And your still the man for I.D.'ing the magneto key years ago.

Thanks!

Ok, ok, so the guy has an oddly-shaped airspeed indicator, that doesn't make him a bad person!