Sign in to follow this  

I am a newbie to WOV and decided to pickup SF1 to expand the playing/mods horizon.Unfortunately SF1 is "out of print" and the CD I rec'd from a mail order house(original and mfr sealed package) turned out to be a press release version which could not be pacthed. Rplacement order was the same(you only find out when you open the read me file.)I am dealing with Third Wire re refund but in the interim need to locate a retail SF1 that I can play and patch to SFP3.Will SFP Gold work and or are there any current sellers of SF1 in US who can guaranty a retail copy.

Thanks,Essex103 :help:

It is not out of print. If you go to the Third Wire website there is a link to the Value Soft edition (budget jewel case version). This is SFP1, but cheap and patched to SP1 (you still need to apply SP2a, SP3, and install the free F-4J and A-4F addons).

The link is here:

http://www.valusoft.com/products/strikefighters.html

I am a newbie to WOV and decided to pickup SF1 to expand the playing/mods horizon.Unfortunately SF1 is "out of print" and the CD I rec'd from a mail order house(original and mfr sealed package) turned out to be a press release version which could not be pacthed. Rplacement order was the same(you only find out when you open the read me file.)I am dealing with Third Wire re refund but in the interim need to locate a retail SF1 that I can play and patch to SFP3.Will SFP Gold work and or are there any current sellers of SF1 in US who can guaranty a retail copy.

Thanks,Essex103 :help:

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Bought a "discount" ($11.00) copy that was just the same as you describe. Sealed in plastic & everything. But, couldn't patch it (various files, including "desert.cat" and messages.dll" were "invalid previous versions"), and the "readme" stated (as yours did) that it was a "press release version." Contacted Third Wire and they told me to take it back to the retailer for a refund. When you buy at discount on the Internet, Good Luck finding the "retailer."

I finally bought a good, complete version from Go Gamer ($25.00 with shipping). But at least it works, and accepts the patches.

Caveat Emptor

Hope you find a decent copy. It's worth it.

did yall check out e-bay?

The Value Soft edition is only $10 and is guaranteed to be the real thing, so why try anything else? Unless you want the original box and instructions (in which case keep your early release version and get the Value Soft edition).

It is not out of print. If you go to the Third Wire website there is a link to the Value Soft edition (budget jewel case version). This is SFP1, but cheap and patched to SP1 (you still need to apply SP2a, SP3, and install the free F-4J and A-4F addons).

The link is here:

http://www.valusoft.com/products/strikefighters.html

Thanks for the info, I've sent in my order.

Essex103

Guest capun

I bought a spare copy at BestBuy for $5.99

I found it at EBGames bargain bin for $1.49

I would have gladly paid $30+ for it.

Edited by deep