Sign in to follow this  
Menrva

About the Iran/Iraq terrain, Wrench

The dedicated version of the terrain for the Iran/Iraq war is great, Wrench, since it contains various water bodies, rivers and etc. not present in the ODS version of the same terrain. However I noticed both terrains have some inaccuracies regarding target placement and I'd really like to correct them. Since most if not all of your terrains are True to Life and because I recognize your hard work to obtain such results, I wanted to ask you for permission to retargetize and retile the new one for both ODS and the Iran/Iraq war (I've read your terms regarding your terrain works in the Freeware Licensing thread, BTW). In no way I'm going to mod your terrain without your consent, but I'd really like to contribute in making this terrain better, seeing that Centurion-1 and team are creating a spectacular Iran/Iraq campaign.

P.S.: If you want, I can attach some screenshots of the inaccuracies I found. Thanks in advance.

some inaccuracies are due to the tiling or mountains or just general Terrain Engine constraints (gods, I wish it was better!!!)

yes, please post some screenies; like most terrain work, one can go QUITE mad trying to place things to be where they're supposed to be in Real Life ™

Here are the screenies. I generated those planning maps with Gerwin's tool. First one is yours IR map, second one has the Iran region corrected by me just for showing (I used Gerwin's tool, Google Maps and good old Microsoft Encarta, which has a useful interactive globe). 

I know it's not very clear, due to the tiling not  being corrected, but one can still see the heights. Tehran with all of its airports (Ghale Morghi and so on) is placed with mountains to its North, while in yours the capital is in a totally plain area, which corresponds to the Caspian Sea. Surely this area makes everyone crazy; I mean, I've spent two whole days studying this region and noticing those inaccuracies. Maybe I'm a bit too perfectionist, so forgive my rivet counting. Tomorrow I'll try to show everything better with the help of HFDs.

watch out for The Wall .. you're getting danger close on the southern, eastern and western edges

Some things were left off for a reason -- they played NO part in an Iran/Iraq scenario, and the original ODS was more concerned with action near the borders. And on the ODS, I mostly just did targeting, leaving stuff as I was given (and yes, some stuff is wrong. very wrong, as is the iran/Iraq and irag2003 maps)

for a more direct Iran/Iraq conflict, check with centurion-1, he's reworking the Iran/Iraq maps as part of a larger project

Wow! That map you posted is really helpful. With Google Earth you can see lots of airports, but I guess many didn't even exist during the Iran/Iraq war or ODS. Maybe those could be added in the future for Operation Darius. My idea right now is to retargetize and retile the whole terrain, and to include targets for both ODS and the iran/iraq war. I just discovered the ActiveDate and InactiveDate statements in the targets.ini, and those are handy. As soon as January 17 1991 comes, lots of target can appear or disappear. A problem would be the movements .ini, which doesn't work that way and doesn't support moving fronts for single missions depending on the years. Of course I will take care of those airports near or inside The Wall (I placed Prince Sultan AB and King Khalid AB in their RL position, but I guess I'll have to move them more to the North. Without those ODS would be a failure).

BTW thank you for your help. As you stated sometimes, the tiles on this terrain are not so great. While Centurion-1 is creating great hi-res tiles, can I temporarily use the ones you made for Gepard's Persian Gulf? Maybe I need a texturelist.ini, since with that terrain you have introduced more and better-looking transition tiles.

Edited by blaze95

that's just a sample of the kind of maps I work off, all the time.

Persian Gulf uses stock desert tiles, along with the usual butt-load of custom "specials" I make. I'll have to search the archives for WHERE I put the texture list!!! I don't remember where it is!!