going through my ETO aircraft folders, I've found a "Bf-109F-4", based on Monty's S-99. Skins, iirc are Nigel's.

going through all my books, including the modeler's datafile pt 2 on the F-K models, it seems VERY close to the F-4. It has fairly small breech bulges on the cowl, but has the wing bulges for the larger tires. 2 cowl MGs and center hub MG FF cannon.

my question is ... is it, or would it be, close enough for use AS the 109F-4??? I've flown it on a few mission, and don't see any real handling issues.

(obviously, we can CALL anything whatever we want -- simple text edit)

For those interested, should I assemble a quickie package, so it can be examined by one and all??

(edit: they had a retractable tailwheel, didn't they??)

Edited by Wrench

for any that don't have access to the A-team's numerous new 109F versions it would be useful for sure.

maybe somone can make a "fake" cockpit canopy that looks more like the Fs too.

Yes!!!!!

the 3 views in the modeler's datafile aren't very clear, but the photos do show a small bulge.

Haube hoods were retrofitted to many (some G came stock with it iirc),  but this could be before retrofitting. Who knows!!? Wolf's old 109 has it (but it's old, and showing it's age).

Shoot, even TK's S-99 (109G6) has it.

(note to self: need to finish templates for 3w S-99 so as to repaint for ww2)

for any that don't have access to the A-team's numerous new 109F versions it would be useful for sure.

one of the main reasons.

one could do a fake pilot Haube hood, but it wouldn't move

Just checked my files and found an lod up date for it?

it cloud has stand in until a real his made most likely by me or Veltro2k or Raven or russo the ones thta work on WWII

Well for a test and FPS I'm converting one of the _005 hurri lod's into a Bf 109E for 1000 to 8000m. I just have to map it to the tex file.

well i can take the 109F if needed over this winter no final ETA depends on outher stuff i have going

in the mean time i check my sereval PDFs on the 109 and found this may be it can help

seams beacouse i cant read czech that it the F2/U1 very small breach bulges realy small

Not one of my skins, in any case. 

The shape of the S-99 is only superficially similar to the F-series, at best; the silhouette might do at a considerable distance, but that's as near as it gets. The S-99/G-14AS has the wide cowling which means that while the breech bulges of the G-5/6/14A are not visible, they're not visible because the cowling has been widened. That makes the nose shape completely incorrect when viewed from above. As mentioned, the tailwheel retracted on the F-series, not on the G or K-series. Further, the oil cooler below the nose is much deeper. Finally, all F-series aircraft had the standard tail and early-pattern canopy hood. None were fitted with the third type of canopy ('Erla-Haube') or tall tail, for the simple reason that they were not compatible. The F-series canopy hood was different from that of the early G-series, and lacked the central vertical strut, for a start. 

The wings also present some differences, in that F-series aircraft did not have any bulges on the uppersurfaces. 

I'd suggest asking Monty for the source file and going from there, because this won't go, at least in my humble opinion... 

i have one thing to say some times you just have to go for it!

full afternoon´s work!

thank you Nigel!! That's the sort of info I was looking for, when tossing this idea out. I'm more knowledgeable on the US stuff (even with gigs and gigs of books!!) In some way, 109s are like Mig-21s -- a zillion variants, sometimes only separated by the littlest of changes.

Getting the max file from Monty for the S-99 (and the He-111E for ( a lot of) reworking to H) would be a good way too. If they can be uploaded to the Modders Depository, that is!

A real late war K would be a nice addition!!!

What with the rebuilds of the BoB and EAW Euro WW2 terrains now available, and the 'Northern Europe' (Northern UK/Scotland/Orkneys, Netherlands, Denmark, western Germany and Norway) still to come.

--

Damn! Daniel, you're fast!!! I haven't even finished off the Spitfire 5s/Seafire 2 yet!! (seafire 2 needs some reworking -- i'll pm you some screenies later, along with the beau 1c serial decals. got some things to do today.)

looking at Wolf's F last night in some detail; we can get by with it for some time ... it's actually not as bad as I first imagined (mostly because of my crappy skins) added/adapted 2 of Nigel's, and it looks MUCH better!! Most detrimental is the lack of the centerline pylon/ETC mounts. I can 'fake pilot' one of those like I did for the Fw-190s. Not perfect, but (semi) workable!

thank you all for your inputs!!

Here's a little gift for all:

Modlers Datafile #10: Messerschmitt Bf-109, Part 2 : F-K models

Not as nice as Daniel's, but it's just a distance .lod. Mapping and mesh name matching it to Russouk2004's  Bf109E_4, Hope to get the FPS up and  I've never done this type of mapping before , so something new to learn. And thank's Wrench for the .pdf

post-300-0-15708000-1388703582_thumb.jpg

Edited by RAVEN
  • Like 1

:biggrin:

Well I got it mapped. Not something I would like to do everyday, but I was worth it..

post-300-0-46168100-1388719634_thumb.jpg

Well that wasted two day's.

Note to self Don't do this agin.

Major 'Reset XForm' and pivot point mismatch. I don't think I can fix it.

Pic 1 Both .lod's

Pic 2 Just mine.

post-300-0-38025800-1388721852_thumb.jpg

post-300-0-70193700-1388721869_thumb.jpg

doing try reset transform the pivot may help and unlink reset Xform on all
i always before mapping or linking do a reset Xfrom on all meshes to prevent stuff like that!

Mine is OK it's the orignal lod that's wacked Daniel, and I don't have the scorce file for it, but I did learn some mapping from doing it and I might do something with what I made.

ok sorry got it wrongs well whit some work and smothing you low poly can be trun into good a E model or you wait a fewe days i can send you F source for you work in to E model

Kevin i have someone to paint my german planes so you are off the hook on this one hs for future US or UK planes im not sure :grin:

Looking more promising there...

Kevin, the K-series is effectively indistinguishable (except for details such as hatches, which can be painted on) from the G-10 and G-14AS. There ARE little things, such as barely perceptible bulges on the underside of the cowling forward of the exhaust stacks, and slightly different panel lines as a result, but again, all that takes is paint and shading. I used the CFS3 stock G-10 to cover all marks from G-6AS through to K-4, and it does actually work. I can't remember which I did with Monty's S-99, but there are still a number lying round on my hard drive anyway. I'll have to take a look...

Equally, if you want a decent E-series, I'd beg Monty for his B/C-series source. All it needs is the engine cowling, airscrew, spinner and exhausts modifying. The airframe from the cockpit back is unchanged apart from oil coolers under the wings. 

Edited by ndicki

That's starting to look the part! If I have to find something to criticize, let's say that the kink in the fuselage spine should be a gentle curve, and that it strikes me that the oil cooler is too deep for an F-series. Is the fuselage marginally too deep? Difficult to tell... In any case, just as it stands, it's a far more credible rendition than anything else we have - BRAVO! 

Very nice. I decided that's it easier to make a new model than try to match a lod to someone's lod without the Max file, although I've almost got it matched by rotating or moving the pivot points of my meshes.

For reference I look on the net at plastic model reviews and copy (print) the part's trees because they have access to drawings we can't get to make their molds.This is not the one your doing,but check this out and you can see the info .

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=919

Edited by RAVEN